8. A Quest for Answers

The Korea Herald

Police record over 200 FIRs in 24 hours: highest in SMPA history

March 24, 2019: Police stations across Seoul have reportedly recorded a jaw-dropping number of 246 FIRs (First Information Reports) as of March 23, an official of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said. What comes as a greater shock to both the public and the media is the fact that all these FIRs were filed pertaining to only kidnappings of civilians in the districts of Gangam, Gwanak, Songpa, Seocho, Jongno and Guro, among others. These mass kidnappings have forced the SMPA to appoint additional police forces on patrol around the city, even as the queues of people waiting outside police stations to file their reports keep increasing by the hour.

Jungkook twiddled his thumbs on the table, raising his head every two minutes to look at the entrance of the Audio Visual Hall. Having nothing else to do except idly wait, his mind traced back the events of the past two hours...

Professor Lee Daehyun regarded him with expectant eyes.

"I-I don't know if I can provide the help you're looking for," Jungkook said, squirming in his seat out of unease. "There are obviously other better, more knowledgeable students in the department who can be of more use than me."

Daehyun sighed. "I'm asking for your help not only because of your lineage, Jungkook. You're a good student. One of the brightest in the university. And not just that. You may not understand it now, but you possess exactly what we need to crack this mystery. Please, this is a matter of the entire country's security. We really need your help."

Jungkook exhaled out of resignation. He had never been so confused in his life. He knew not what these people wanted from him, but he was sure it had something to do with his father, or he wouldn't have been called. Did he truly have a say in this?

"Okay," he relented. "What will I have to do?"

Daehyun beamed satisfyingly. "I knew you would understand. There's not much that we will ask of you. You'll just have to research with us. Conduct experiments and help us find answers to questions that we will be faced with. All I need is your dedication and time."

Jungkook considered this. He wanted nothing more than to busy himself, remain by himself in the same room without a legion of two-faced graduates pulling his leg and swarming him like moths to a flame. He didn't have much else to do other than cook instant ramen, complete his homework and lounge within the four walls of his room. What harm could lending a hand in this research possibly cause?

"All right, I'm down for it. When do we start?"

"Brilliant," Daehyun grinned, clasping his hands together. "Actually, the work might get a little too cumbersome sometimes. Would you like somebody to join you for help?"

His immediate reaction would've been a blatant no, had it not been for a particular girl with chocolate-brown curls and an understated smile occupying the confines of his mind for the past few nights. Someone he was, surprisingly, more than willing to spend time with.

"Is it okay if I - if I call a friend along?"

"And who may that be?" The knowing smile on Daehyun's face made it obvious that he was aware.

"Petra Gordon, she's a student in your molecu -"

"Oh I know, I know!" said Daehyun, his unexpectedly frivolous tone a stark contrast to his usually pensive demeanor. "Lovely young woman. I trust her. Can you two meet me in the AVH after recess so I can brief you on your work?"