41. Years and Years

"How many are alive?" Jimin asked. 

"Only one, sir," the cop said, gesturing with a nod of his head to the prison cell at the far end of the corridor. "We killed them in the encounter, all twenty-seven of them. Only one lived through his injuries." 

Jimin walked down the dimly-lit corridor, black prison cells on either side blurring past his vision as he focused solely in front. If he listened keenly enough, beyond the rhythmic clacking of the soles of his boots against the concrete, he could hear them breathe. Ragged, vengeful, hissing like snakes. Apparitions in the dark. People who had robbed, raped and murdered, who wouldn't hesitate to plunge their dirty, knife-like nails into his back if he got close enough. 

He had long ago learned how to walk past them without a second glance. 

The final cell's black grill creaked noisily when the cop pushed it open to let Jimin enter, following close behind. A man in torn, bloody overalls sat slumped against the wall of the cell, shaggy brown hair like a canopy over his bent head. He looked up at the two visitors, scars littering his face, eyes red-rimmed and bloodshot.  

"Did you get anything out of him?" Jimin asked his comrade in a hushed tone, still scrutinizing the prisoner who resolutely held his gaze as a little act of defiance. 

"Nothing, sir. We've had the strictest of officers investigate him, but nothing's getting him to open his mouth." 

The Junior Superintendent nodded curtly, and the cop took this as his cue to leave. 

Once they were alone, the prisoner's lips twitched into some semblance of a smirk. Jimin clenched his jaw. 

"Listen here," Jimin said evenly, taking brisk steps forward till the toe of his boot was touching the man's foot. "I will give you three chances. Three chances to decide if you want to see tomorrow's sunrise or not. So tell me. Why did Gwonhan send you here?"  

The prisoner made no move to acknowledge the Superintendent's words, head cocked to the side and bruised lips hanging open, impassive.

Jimin crouched on one knee in front of the man, propping his elbow on the other. "You kidnap our people from the streets, turn them into Aenigmi and send them back so they can destory their own homes... but attacking our students? Why? Did you miss going to school or what?" 

The prisoner averted his eyes to the mosaic floor, a light shrug shaking his shoulder. 

Of course he had expected this. Sighing from his nostrils, Jimin let the hand that was propped on his knee trail to the holster at his belt, fingers enclosing around cold metal until his gun was cocked and pressed to the underside of the man's jaw, forcing his gaze to meet the inspector's.

Craning his neck until he was eye to eye with the prisoner, Jimin said, "You weren't here to take Jeon Jungkook, were you? If not him, who are you after?" 

Even though his voice came out coarse like dried leaves getting crushed under feet, the prisoner's gaze was unwavering. "You will never know."   

"You have no honour," Jimin hissed through gritted teeth.  

"My honour lies in remaining loyal to my country," he retorted. "Kill me if you want." 

The officer pressed the muzzle of the gun further into his jaw, leaning so close that their noses almost touched. "I don't give two cents whether you live or die, you piece of shit. I want answers. But you must have heard back in your country how cleverly considerate we South Koreans are. Just to uphold that truth, I'm giving you time until tomorrow sunrise. Whether you want it to be your last or not, you have tonight to decide."