21. The Legacy of Loss

Black.

The world around her was dark. There was a curtain of coal mushed against her eyes - black. Concerned hands encircling her forearms - black. A veil of velvet brushing her lips - black. The colour of ink, the colour of night, the colour of her. She felt black. Black tip-toed up her spine and seeped into her trembling skin, leaving her with heavy eyelids and a heavier heart.

Black called to her, promising her reprieve from her erratic sense of chaotic calm. She felt lips at her ears, insistent whispers nestling themselves between her bones.

Black was the loudest. It first had a small, lingering voice; so faint she could hardly identify it, but so decisive with finality that it rattled her heavy chest. It called to her the way the empty smiles could never. Black held her together, promised never to leave.

It whispered, breathe with me.

Each time black reached out its hands to brush the hair away from her face, its voice grew bolder. It spoke in a promising, confident way that eased the clanging of her unsteady heart. Slowly but surely, she willed her nostrils to inhale and exhale, the life returning to her lungs.

"Petra," black whispered, determined, infinite. "It's okay."

I've never felt so warm before.

Her vision cleared.

Stay with me. Don't go.

She opened her eyes, and stared into those of Jeon Jungkook's.

He wanted her to never let go.

Jungkook had followed her outside the university, sprinting through the nearest streets in search of her because he had definitely not seen her rush towards the dorms. He ran abreast of the wind, looking for the familiar swish of her chocolate brown curls in the melee of faces rushing past, and it killed him - it absolutely killed him that he wasn't fast enough because guilt, the goddamned guilt, was like a six-tonne weight tied to his ankles, dragging him behind.

His world stopped an inch before it could tumble down the chasm of collapse when he saw her, helpless in the grip of a burly-looking female Aenigmuus strangling her neck. In that moment of haunting desperation, Jungkook realised that his safety was the least of his concerns when it was her life on the line. He had two alternatives: either watch the Aenigmuus choke her to death, or fight the creature and die along with the girl in the process.

Could he possibly find it in himself to live in a world without her?

So he created a third alternative.

The enormity of the sheer feeling behind his chosen course of action hit him only after he instinctively ran down the street and pried the girl apart from the Aenigmuus with every bit of strength he could muster, even as half-dead men wailed for help around him and thick smoke clouded his vision.

It hit him only after he, in a breathless fit of coughs and cries, picked her up and ran, trusting his legs to take him somewhere - anywhere - that didn't threaten to steal the life from the girl he carried in his arms, stopping only behind a large yellow wall of cement at the fringes of the street in front of a decimated grocery store. He put her trembling body down against the wall, crouching before her and first willing himself to take control of his bearings so that he could get on with helping her. He had neither experienced a panic attack before nor witnessed someone suffer from it, but he was aware of the basics.