9. Help Me

Petra pitied her wardrobe; it lived through a world war every morning.

After ruffling through a heap of shirts, jumpers, hoodies, overalls, and maxi dresses - and throwing out another heap of those - she settled on wearing a plain white tee tucked inside midnight blue palazzo pants and white sneakers to match, parting her hair in the middle. She didn't spend too much time assessing herself in the mirror, or she would end up feeling dissatisfied and change her attire only to repeat the cycle all over again.

Jungkook texted her that he was waiting downstairs at the precise moment the clock struck 12:00. She grabbed her phone and sprinted downstairs, praying to all the gods she knew that nobody was out roaming the dorm's corridors at that time. She scanned the hall upon reaching the ground floor, heaving a sigh of relief when she found the coast clear. She cautiously tip-toed towards the entrance.

"Petranella Gordon? Is that you?"

She froze.

Seunghee waddled towards her from behind, her burgundy hair sticking out on all sides like the mane of a lion and one eye screwed shut as if she'd just woken up from a nap. She was wearing forest green pajamas and green slippers to match.

"Seunghee!" Petra exclaimed, feigning excitement. "What are you doing here?"

She scratched her head, scrunching her nose at Petra. "Just thought I'd go for a ride around campus."

"At twelve noon?"

She yawned leisurely before regarding her from head to toe. "I could ask you the same?"

Petra fumbled for an answer, shifting her phone from one hand to the other. "Oh, I'm-I have my shift at the - the library! I read stories to kids, remember?"

"Yeah," Seunghee said, her hair bouncing as she nodded. "But don't you only go on Sundays? And hey - why are you dressed up like that? Are you going on a date?"

Petra's eyes were wide as saucers. "A d-date?" A forced laugh tumbled down her mouth. "You really think someone would ask me out?"

"Why not?" she said incredulously. She pulled the sleeves of her pajama shirt down her hands, making them sweater paws and holding the sides of Petra's face. "Everybody knows you're Hyun Seunghee's friend! You'll obviously be the most sought-out girl there is!"

When she scrunched her eyes and squeezed Petra's cheeks, grinning like a madwoman, Petra was sure she was high on shrimp chips or gummy bears of whatever the hell she was currently surviving on. "O-okay, cool," she said, pushing her hands away. "I need to get going now! I'm getting late! Bye!"

She ran for the entrance, sighing dejectedly when Seunghee caught up with her. "Fine, fine," she grumbled. "No need to walk with your chest puffed out like that. I'm leaving too...hey, wait. Where's my bike?"

Petra jumped as Seunghee screamed maniacally, spreading out her arms like the world had come to an end. "What the hell?! Somebody stole my goddamned bike!"

Petra had the greatest urge to melt into a puddle of her own embarrassment as passersby tossed strange looks at them, muttering amongst themselves with disgust. She could practically hear the jeering voice of her brother snickering in her ears: "Real thing, sis. You've got a knack for making good friends."

"Petra?"

Said girl turned around and wished she could disappear.

Because Jeon Jungkook - looking as breathtaking as all things sinful in his brown and white checked-shirt tucked into denim jeans that accentuated his toned thighs, a stark black overcoat and matching black sneakers - was staring at the pair of them like they were a hormonal teenage couple arguing in the middle of the street, and he a sympathetic passerby caught between helping them resolve their conflict and asking them to move the hell out of his way.