13. Cold Comfort Pt 2

Seunghee stormed through the glass double doors of S+TV's news center, almost cursing out loud in front of the employees when she stumbled in her four-inch platform pumps.

The news center had a distinguished scent to it that was nothing like the smell of her university's lecture halls or the fragrance of her daily perfume. Professionalism oozed out of the very ambience of the office, and even though she herself liked places that were cozy and inviting, she wouldn't want her dream workplace to feel any different.

This time, however, the familiarity of the place did nothing to ease the throbbing of her temples or calm her tense nerves. Today was the deadline for the submission of the Mount Fuji-high stack of news reports that she'd been allotted to complete the day before. Curse the traffic, she was running fifteen minutes late on her schedule. A quarter of an hour did not seem something to hassle about, but the journalist she was interning under had assigned these reports not only to her, but to fifteen other mass communication interns. Whoever would present the reports first would be allowed a first-hand experience of actually reporting for the news channel.

If this concerned submitting her school assignment on time, Seunghee would've happily submitted it two minutes before it was due. But this was something else; she was not the only aspiring broadcast journalist for the country's most famous news channel.

She was stuck in a rat race.

Seunghee practically flew up the stairs, manoeuvering past journalists in dress suits and IDs, running through aisles of reporters and sound engineers working on computers and stopping only before the doors of the television studio. She pushed past the doors, halting before the sea of teleprompters and cameramen.

The chief journalist of S+TV stood on the steps leading to the recording stage, dressed in a sleek blue suit and idly reading through a stapled heap of papers as a make-up artist styled his obsidian fringe on his forehead. Seunghee cautiously approached him from behind.

"M-Mr. Min," she said, not as confidently as she wished she had. If her friend Petra were here, she would've definitely cackled like a goddamn maniac at how the flamboyantly extroverted Seunghee stuttered like a broken jeep in front of this man.

Min Yoongi whirled on his heels to face her, his blank face contorting into an amalgam of disinterest and bewilderment. The make-up artist retracted her hands from his hair and timidly moved away.

He looked down at the pile of reports that she outstretched towards him, nose scrunching the slightest bit as his eyes flitted back to hers.

"And who are you?"

Seunghee almost scowled right on his face. She'd been interning with him for over two months and he never even bothered to remember her name?

"Hyun Seunghee," she said, fighting to keep the annoyance out of her voice. "I'm from SNU and I've been interning -"

"What do you want?" he interrupted her, stuffing his hands in the pocket of his pants. "My show starts recording in five minutes, I'm sure you can see?"

Her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment. "I was stuck in traffic -"

"What's this?" he aggressively grabbed the files from her hands, almost pulling her towards him.

"The reports -"

"You're late," he said simply, not even bothering to give the said papers a second glance before thrusting them back towards her. "Melissa submitted them today morning itself."

Saying so, he casually turned away from her and walked towards the recording stage, stopping before a shiny blue screen running horizontally across the back of the room with the words NEWSROUND illuminated on it. He stared regally at the camera.