27. Of Forlorn Faces

Shaking her dripping wet umbrella and pulling it close, Petra quickly rounded the corner of the building and stopped before the inconspicuous back door of the College of the Natural Sciences. The door was off limits now, even for the janitors who once often used it, thanks to a not-so-intelligent duo of men who decided to sneak in to retrieve a bottle of potassium permanganate and test-tubes at the ass crack of dawn.

It was an unspoken part of the university rules that students were not to use the back door under any circumstances, unless they were ready to face the consequent disciplinary measures. But Petra nonetheless pushed open the door and promptly stepped inside, knowing full well that should she get caught, she might as well consider herself expelled from the institution.

She walked down the dimly lit corridors, trying not to flinch every time the windows shook from the thunderstorm outside. She stopped outside a room with the letters Storage Room 53 written on the door's name plate. When she pushed the door open, three familiar faces greeted her.

"It's 3 a.m. in the morning, we know, don't freak out," Jimin said the moment Petra placed her wet umbrella against the wall.

"Wasn't planning to," she told him, then observed the other two. Namjoon's brown mullet had never looked so ruffled before, and even Seokjin's handsome face showed signs of fatigue and sleep deprivation. "I had my lab report to complete, so I had to stay up anyway. Why're you guys awake and about when you should be catching up on some much-deserved sleep?"

Namjoon sighed heavily, using the heels of his palms to rub his eyes. "While we were in a meeting yesterday afternoon with the President and other ministers, an attack broke out right outside the Parliament."

"Let me guess," Petra said, crossing her arms. "You guys found a note?"

"A little more than just a note." Jimin removed a yellowish-brown paper from the file he was holding and placed it on the table between them. Petra scanned the sheet, eyes running across the elegant handwriting she now recognised all too well, and stopped at the bottom near the line Creator: Jeon Jaewha.

"Yeah, I know," she pursued her lips, bracing her hands against the table. "Jungkook and I found out while we were in Ilsan. But why did Gwonhan send this whole sheet of Aenigmium properties instead of his watermark mysterious one-liners like all other times? Only to defame Jeon Jaewha?"

Jimin smiled ruefully at her, then turned the page over. "Not so simple. Look at this."

Punggye-ri tunnel, Kilju County, North Hamgyong Province, North Korea

Entry only for 2.

When she looked at the three men questioningly, Seokjin answered, "We are more than a 100% sure this is the address of Gwonhan's hideout. Looks like he's calling us for tea and biscuits."

"He's hiding out in North Korea?" Petra said, impressed. "Smart."

"Very smart," Namjoon added, eyebrows twisting in disgust. "That explains why North Korea's readying its nuclear weapons. Gwonhan is one clever swine of a man. Taking shelter in North Korea knowing there already exists tension between the two countries? That way he's secured himself from every potential attack we could launch on him."

"Why do you think he willingly sent his address to us if we're his enemies?" Petra asked.

"It looks like he wants to talk," Jimin said. "About what exactly, we don't know. But this is the first time Gwonhan has approached us in a way that does not involve kidnapping our people, turning them into zombies and leaving them on the streets to cause havoc. It's probably the only opportunity we have to communicate with him."