Prologue: INTERPHASE

March 1997; AVH, Seoul National University, South Korea

"Imagine living in a world where the past is never as far as it seems, and the future nearer than ever before. Imagine a life where memory is not fickle, but eternal as nature at its finest. Imagine having the power to control what you remember; imagine abandoning the fear of forgetting. Imagine possessing the freedom to decide which tragic losses or painful memories you want to liberate your soul from. Imagine being blessed with the competence to never, ever forget the password of your computer, the birthday of a loved one, the food you left heating on the stove, the charger of your phone when you travel, the date you were supposed to take your partner to, the meeting you were supposed to attend, the homework you were supposed to complete, or the name of a person you were supposed to know. Imagine a world which moves at a better - faster - pace, in which the impermanence of human memory or the traumatic guilt of loss are no longer the boulders that obstruct the path of a planet destined to progress as the most technologically, socially, psychologically, biologically and philosophically advanced abode to exist.

"My countrymen, you can stop imagining now, for I have found a way to transform this dream into reality."

The auditorium erupted in cheers, gleeful men and women screaming their support through encouraging whistles and vivid depictions on banners.

The revered scientist atop the stage raised a hand, commanding silence. "Listen, dear brothers and sisters, listen to what I have to say. At present I have merely put forth an idea, an inkling of a dream that ignited within my mind and to this day, steals my sleep. This dream can only become reality when we work together as one unit, when scientists of our institution know that they have the backing of both the public and the regime. So tell me, do I have your support?"

The crowd hailed loudly in agreement. How could they not, when their country, marred by the catastrophic years of the Korean War and overshadowed by the renowned endeavours of the West, was finally going to gain international spotlight? How could they not, when South Korea - a small, desolate nation whose name nobody cared to remember - was going to change the world?

"Do I have your support?"

The cheers of the throng shook the very foundations of the establishment, every brick resonating with the harmony of their consensus.

Dr Jeon Jaewha smiled behind the mike. "Very well."

March 2009, Lab 54, Seoul National University, South Korea

Kim Gwonhan stormed down the desolate corridor, scowling.

He couldn't recall a single day when the halls and aisles of his university were so vacant and devoid of life. Where was everyone?

His footsteps halted before a stark white door on which the nameplate read, wine red letters engraved on a golden background:

Lab 54

Dr Jeon Jaewha

Without bothering to knock, he burst straight through the door. Standing behind a grey metal table, hunched over a microscope, was a man in a lab coat. Upon having his work interrupted by the sudden disturbance, the scientist looked up, not a trace of annoyance or impatience in his features.

He smiled cordially at the man at the door. "Gwonhan? What brings you here?"

Gwonhan did not have the time or forbearance to entertain his hospitality. So he marched inside and stood before him, fuming.