Chapter 30

The last couple of days with Salil's family passed in blissful oblivion. Niana was watchful of my behavior to detect abuse signs, but her overt animosity towards Salil had vanished completely. I can't say she was ultimately back to normal as she had been on the night we played dumb charades, but at least she had started showing him some affection.

We spent our time playing games, watching movies, and cooking. Niana taught me how to cook some of Salil's favorite dishes.

Before leaving, Sahil had hugged me tightly to thank me. Niana had made me promise that I will call her as soon as I feel uncomfortable in our relationship; I had laughed internally but had thanked her all the same.

Salil and I took a long-awaited bubble bath with lots of candles to ease our nerves. Neither of us had realized how stressed we had been for the last 10 days. As I lay against him in hot water, he asked, "Avantika?"

"Hmm," I replied, not really in a mood to talk.

"Thank you," he said, merely kissing the side of my head.

I looked up at him, smiled, and nodded my head in acknowledgment.

I wanted to ask him to show me the dungeon, but I felt like we had a lifetime for that, a lifetime of love and togetherness.

Our next week passed frantically. We both had a lot to catch up with at work and could barely give each other much time.

So, when Friday finally arrived, I decided to go home early. Arti was cleaning the kitchen just as I entered it.

"Hello, you are home early," she chirped.

"And you are awfully cheerful, what's the matter?" I asked her.

"I have been meaning to tell you and Salil for a while, but you were so busy that I couldn't. I am pregnant, Rahul and I are going to have a baby," she said excitedly.

I jumped up in joy and hugged her "congratulations, this is great news."

She had tears of happiness in her eyes, "and I wanted to thank you for talking to Niana." I smirked. "I don't know what you said to her, but she actually smiled at me before leaving," she said with a small smile, and I laughed.

"Yeah, I think she just wanted the reassurance that things with Salil are consensual," I said casually.

"You can't be serious?" she asked, exasperated. I shrugged.

"Arti, take the weekend off. Celebrate with your husband. Salil and I will be fine," I told her, giving her another hug.

"I'll leave after giving Salil the good news," she said, beaming at me."Great, help me with dinner till then," I told her.