Chapter 24

I was scrolling through Instagram at night in bed when Salil finally came back into the room. Aaliya and Sahil had dragged him to watch another movie with them. He dropped on the bed and crawled to me; I kept my gaze firmly on my phone. He squeezed himself between my arms and nuzzled against my neck; I smiled. "How was the movie?" I asked. He squeezed me in response.

"What were you and Sahil talking about today?" he asked against my neck. I bit my lip to keep myself from smiling.

"Hmmm...nothing much," I responded evasively. I knew the curiosity was killing my dear husband.

"If it was nothing much, then why were your eyes red when you came back?" he asked, pulling himself back from me to look at me. I slowly put my phone down and looked at him.

"Sahil is not blind Salil. He sees that we are both distressed because of Mom. He wants me to fix everything," I said sadly. Salil snorted derogatorily.

"Stop worrying about fixing the broken," he said, rolling out of bed. I tried to reach for him, but he walked into the bathroom and closed the door; the closed-door hurt more than I could have anticipated. I ran after him and banged on the door "open up." Just then my phone rang; "saved by the bell" I shout through the door and run to answer the phone.

"Hi Papa," I piped up. We had a concise conversation because I got distracted the minute Salil came back to the room.

"How are your parents?" Salil asked.

"Fine," I said, waving my hand, "it's dad's birthday on Friday. They want to hold a dinner since your family is here too". Salil nodded. I hoped things would improve by then, but anyhow, Niana was very good at putting up appearances.

I point my finger at Salil and signal for him to join me. He smiled at my childish behavior and crawled to me. I pat on the bed, and he lay down. I climbed on top of him and planted a very wet kiss on his mouth, making him chuckle. I rested my chin on his chest and looked up at him. He was so beautiful. Most people won't use the word beautiful to describe a man, but Salil deserved that word. He was looking at me from behind his long dark lashes right now. His high cheekbones and square jaw made me want to keep biting him. He pulled my cheek, and I giggled. I rested my head on his shoulder and mumbled, "I love you."

"I love you too, darling," he said, dropping a kiss on the side of my head, "tell me something."

"Hmm"

"Were you always crazy, or is this recent?" he asked, amused. I giggled and snuggled closer to him.

The rest of my days passed in a blur. My work completely consumed me, and I barely had any time to spend with Salil's family. Fortunately, Salil was able to take time off work to be with them.

I generally came in around dinner time and was so tired that I could barely speak to anyone. Niana somehow seemed happy about this. I wondered if she was pleased because she assumed that our sex life was suffering. I chuckled at the thought. Her son, not have sex with me for a week? That had happened only once when he went on a long trip. I needed him more than ever to feel alive every morning to go back to work. At least, she was happy with the thought that our sex life was suffering even if it wasn't.