Love In The Light

When the elevator doors finally pull open, the hall is dead silent and there is no movement before me, but that doesn't stop the hesitancy of my slow footing as I creep out and look both ways before sprinting to my destination.

I felt as if my lungs were slowly filling with water, as if there was less space in them for the air to sink into. Inflating them felt like pushing up a lead weight on my chest. I sucked in the air as if it was ice flooding my system instead of fear.

When I finally reach the hatch to the Escape Bay, I am grateful that I don't have to use what little energy I had left to try and pry it open, for it is already unlocked.

I walked into the empty, darkened bay, the vaulted ceiling gaping like an empty void overhead and the silvery slants of starlight, piercing through the window that beamed all around the endless tables with beeping monitors. I cradle my arm to my chest, which was now turning into a mess of purple and blacks.

On one of the desks, a workers lunch is rotting away in the crisp air whilst a knife and fork sit criss-crossed on the plate. I grabbed the dull knife, that was as intimidating as a pencil and hooked it into the band of my skirt.

The silence gnawed at my twisting insides. Like a gaping void, needing to be filled with sounds, words, anything to focus my mind away from the grief, fear and apprehension, but the silence was only poisonous in its nothingness and eerily unnatural, like a battle devoid of gunfire.

Swallowing my last bit of nerves, I cast an eerie look around the room, it was empty, there was nobody here. Locking the hatch behind me, I gave it no more than a sidewards glance as I slipped past with nothing more than a whisper of bravery and the slight scuff of my soft, soled boots that were coated in both, my own blood and Five's, as I walked down the stairs with shaking knees.

When I pull out the data drive and open the metal motor-box that was dead-bolted into the wall beside all the closed Escape Pods, I sigh as I try to remember where it belonged

As my fingers pry away the wires surrounding the ports, the silence stretched thinner and thinner, like a balloon blown too big, until the temptation to rupture was lingering in the air.

My breathing which was shaky, thick and heavy in my chest, started to fill the void, but wherever I moved, that silence still somehow, followed, always watching and never fading. My own, personal shadow.

Fragments of thought, splinters of words, and droplets of silence spun into a kaleidoscopic jumble, shifting infinitesimally, and then falling into an incredible new pattern as I choked on the tears that began to form in my frustrations when I was trying to recall which port the data drive belonged to.

"Six."

Coughing on my own breath, I spin around abruptly to the sound and heave myself against the box to create a further distance between him and I.

My eyes were trained on the spectre, my heavy eyelids a fraction too slow to blink, as the irises expanded and nearly shoved away all the colour around him. My head tilted upwards to his face, eyes sliding into focus among the brown.

It was as if my brain was suffering a massive short circuit and was struggling to compute as I stuttered incoherent words to him. He moved into my line of sight beneath the blinkering lights of the Escape Bay.

I couldn't find the right thing to say out of a million forming cries in my brain to be held in his grip, but with one glance at the dull saber that he held in his hands, not alight but threatening to be, I kept my distance and uttered the only thing that sounded right on my tongue,

"How did you get here so fast?"

His mouth slightly flickers upwards, "I know this ship better than you do."