Shattered Pieces

"–Five?"

The floor seems to be caving in beneath my knees and the lights are now suddenly too bright. All perception of time becomes distorted and everything slows down until there is nothing; nothing but Five, who stood only inches behind my frame.

When I pull myself from the floor and onto my feet, I felt as steady as a leaf in a storm. The first few steps were hindered, as if I didn't truely believe he was there.

Five steps from the shadows, stealing my breath and the heat from my skin. All at once, my defences are crumbling before the Supreme Leader who dangles Five's life behind his back.

When his familiar, home-like eyes, met mine, something flashed beneath the surface of his hardened expression but it was gone before I could identify it—though, it didn't matter to me for those eyes are mosaics, forgotten to be appreciated for their beauty in contrast to the dark room which the hazel shines upon. He is eating me with his eyes, as if he can't quite believe I'm not a distorted imagination from a forgotten dream.

Before I can draw in the air my body needs, I have melted into his form. I can feel my body shake, crying for the missed time between us—crying to release the tension of the chance I could lose him again once more... if I do not comply to my duty.

His body is so familiar to me—the way it moves, the smell, even the sound of his heart beating–but his firm torso and hard muscle against my own, is new.

My arms wrap tightly around his chest, my face squashed against his beating heart: a rhythm I have never been more thankful for.

Kylo Ren had lied to me. He had told me Five was dead and with that, brought the worst pain imaginable. I was hurting at this betrayal and I was just a ticking time bomb until I exploded with anger at what he had done. But the relief was overwhelming, as if it had cut the cord to my explosives... momentarily.

During these difficult emotions, I can only see the anger flowing like water slowly rising. In a few moments the water will eventually level above my head and I will need release from its smothering, but right now it is barely covering my boots and it is calm; so I am too.

"Oh, Five," I whisper into his chest. His attire now black and thick, resembling Kylo's—the symbol upon his heart, connecting him to the First Order like a leash around his neck.

His hands hadn't yet joined my form, and when they etched their way up from his sides, I embraced the warmth and comfort to come–but it never did. Instead, just as Kylo Ren had done to me earlier, Five pushed me off his chest.

Those hazel eyes that should be warm and familiar, are now only scanning for danger or threat. My heart nearly shatters to the ground before Five's feet due to how quickly my love had turned into uncertainty. Beneath those eyes, I panicked that he had forgotten me and I let that negative emotion swallow and pour acid into my soul.

"Number Five!" The Supreme Leader calls from his place upon the throne, and suddenly even the hands on my biceps that pushed me away were now gone at his Leader's voice, "Good to see you again. I trust you are well even after the ruining of StarKiller?"

Five tore his eyes away from me and turned to Snoke as if I wasn't there. His voice wasn't as I remembered, like vanilla pudding, sweet in their ordinary sort of way—but rather indifferent and distant in his deep tone.

Even his hair was now different, shorter and less alive in this gravity.

"Yes, though there were some... interferences... we eventually got out before it was too late."

"There wasn't enough time for him to get out," Kylo's voice rung in my head, adding fuel to the fire that was scorching in my heart.