The Resistance

Aching—gnawing—heavy—sharp—shooting—cramping—slicing—hot—burning: the pain is rippling through every crevice and corner of my body.

It felt like a welded knife was twisting in my abdomen and coal was injected into my bloodstream. The agony I was subdued to was everlasting waves that crashed upon my untouched soul to unknowable depths, thrashing upon my once unscarred skin and staining its grip there.
The torture throbs in my gut, deep and warm but slicing at the same time. It felt like someone has their hands in me and was squeezing my insides first gently as a warning and then as tightly as they could for fun.

At first, the darkness of the room deceived me but when I fluttered my eyelids open—which were as heavy as one thousand rocks—I realised the bright lights were potent in their confusing and dazzling glare from above. For a second, all I could make out was nothing at all but the moving lumps surrounding the bed and the hands using shiny objects to slice open my crimson flesh. It shot up fast, erasing every thought from my head and paralysing my body to the hospital bed. I screamed beneath the blade, but I didn't recall that part; only the pain.

Plastic gloved hands held me down and masked faces peered down at me with shocked gazes through the hazy mist that clouded over my sight.

"She's regaining consciousness!" A male's voice shouted above the briny tremors of the heart monitor connected to me.

"Apply more anaesthetic."

The nurse above left and came back quickly with a plastic mask. Through hooded eyes, I could see the way she smiled with her own eyes—in a warm but understanding way—but I couldn't relax around such an unfamiliar face which the expression belonged to: I need a known face, preferably a lover's...

I need Kylo.

When she held the mask up to my mouth and over my nose, I attempted to struggle against it but I don't think I even moved.  Every little flinch was like a nail bomb exploding in my innards. My vision became blotched with violent colours that moved and merged without pattern or design.
Everything suddenly turns fuzzy, my consciousness was floating through an empty space filled with a thick static.

Throughout the hospital room, my heartbeat pounded loudly, echoing in my ears, alongside my fading pleas for help to the masked woman above. The agony still crippled itself into my bones but it now ran distant. Her squinting eyes shined below and with a gloved hand, the nurse tugged down her mask and told me that everything was going to be okay. Feeling as if my soul was instead draining slowly from my body, my eyes began to flicker to the back of my head but continued jolting back to watch her smile—wondering if she was telling me lies...for I certainly didn't think I was going to be okay.

Contorting—floating—swirling: suddenly that smile and expression morphed before me. The hallucination started with a slight shimmer in the air around her; like everything surrounding her was being warped and twisted as the colours of her tanned face began to collide and soak into something much more pale.

Scars now littered the nurse's skin, deep and silvery. Instantaneously, the pain and scalpels in my guts are gone and I am the thrown below a familiar face and for a moment, I am lost in the brown eyes above.

His face is graceful among the wreck and when Kylo smiled in a small way, the freckles upon his face light up like constellations around his solar eyes. Falling into the burning look he beamed to me, I felt my body go limp—all fear and adrenaline draining away until there was nothing but a black void.

When the darkness finally wanes, I could see the lights above again from behind close lids. My body went heavy as if someone was sitting above my chest, pinning me down. But I could only lay still in my place and breathe—breathe slow and deep until it passed—and the heaviness left eventually, but the pain still lingered.