~Starry Night Sky~

*That Night*

Newt and I stare at the starry night sky, fascinated. We sit there together huddled up in a sheepskin blanket. We point out strange patterns in the stars that look like images such as a lion, a boy and even a star pattern. We huddle under the tree we named our official spot for hanging out. I stare at the walls to the maze, still intrigued even though I have gotten quite used to them in the week I have been here.

“Newt?” I say.

He turns his attention away from the dark sky and looks at me, his eyes like a cat’s in the dark. I smile and he smiles a funny grin. We laugh in the silence that embraces the Glade. Night has fallen long ago and is almost pitch black except the lamp Newt has lit and placed in front of us. It burns and it flickers occasionally, the wind suddenly picking up.

“Do you think someone built the maze?” I whisper awaiting his reaction. He doesn’t seem surprised and shrugs his shoulders, staring off into the distance.

“Yeah. There is a label out there on some walls that reads ‘World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department but we haven’t figured out what that means. Also there are little Beetle Bugs that has the place under surveillance, my guess is so that the Creators can monitor us, for what I don’t bloody know.”

“Wait…You have been in the maze?” I question curiously raising my eyebrows. He shrugs gently staring into the Maze his eyes suddenly becoming a bit watery.

“Yeah- but that’s in the past.” He whispers. I realise the conversations over, must be a sensitive subject.

I nod staring back out into the closed walls of the Maze. I don’t know why but I feel I recognize the Maze and the Glade. My memory has gone blank only occasional bits and pieces resurface but I’m not sure if that’s normal for everyone in the Glade.

“Katy? Why are you so interested in The Maze?” He asks curiously looking at me. I look at him as I try to come up with an explanation. Curiosity? Suspense? Memory? Connection? I take a deep breath.

“Well, I guess it’s kinda curiosity and suspense. I also feel there is some kind of connection between me and this place…like I remember this area.” I sigh

“Come on, let’s go before you fall asleep on my bloody shoulder!” He laughs discarding his space on the grass, peeling the blanket off me. I lean my head back on the tree and shiver, wrapping my arms around me tightly. He laughs again motioning me to come on.

“Carry me!” I moan. He rolls his eyes jokingly and picks me up gently, bridal style. I snuggle against his chest smelling the scent of Vanilla and Lavender. I begin to get sleepy as the familiar smells eases my brain. The last thing I hear is Newt whispering a goodnight and placing me down on the makeshift hammock.