~The Attack~

The blood-curdling wail only lasted a few minutes. It seemed like the final shout you scream where death is almost embracing you. No hope left. The wail was like a siren piercing all the Glader’s ears. I pressed my hands to my ears firmly, trying to block out the horrifying sound. Then it suddenly stopped. The air was filled with tension and silence. Pure silence. No words spoken, no thoughts declared. Nothing. Suddenly I spot a vague silhouette sprint towards Homestead quickly, I squint my eyes trying to see some features of the person’s face. There were some distinct murmurs and complaints. I heard Newt rush up beside me, his breath warming my neck. My heart pumps furiously like feet thumping the ground. It feels like everything is in slow-motion. My stomach turns into vicious knots and twists that make me feel sick. I wince as Newt blocks my view shielding me in case of a danger.

“Stay behind me- Don’t move.” Newt declares sending a warning look before facing the scenario. I place my hand on his shoulder and force him to look at me. Newt looks at me again, confused. I take a deep breath. 5 metres. I fold my arms defensively and look directly into his eyes. I clear my throat loudly.

“Just because I’m a girl, doesn’t mean, I cannot handle a situation. Just because I am a girl, doesn’t mean that I am weak or have to rely on someone to fight my fights for me. Just because I am a girl doesn’t mean you have to protect me all the time.” I shout furiously, stealing a brief glance at the silhouette. Just two more metres. Just some more stalling.

Newt appears genuinely furious. His jaw was tightened and eyes glared a disapproving look. His eyebrows were furrowed and arms were tightly folded. Every pair of eyes were on us. The bomb fire far to our left illuminated his face perfectly. Everyone halted their chatter to see what all the shouting was about, I snapped my gaze to some watchers which resulted them quickly looking away. I turned my attention back to a now- angry Newt.

“No- I agree. But you don’t bloody understand. Shuck it. Bloody hell- We are trying to help you. No bloody need to go all sass and rejection on us. Just you shut your buggin’ mouth and shuck off while we try to do our job.” He snarls turning away from me sharply. Those words echoed in my blank less mind. That stung. It felt like knives had cut me and I could feel all the pain in my body. Why would he do that? After what I thought was a friend. Before I could understand why, hot tears trickled down my face. I swatted them away annoyingly and stared at the figure illuminated by the bonfire.

Immediately I recognized the boy. Tall, dark- skinned with a serious expression. He wore a turquoise severely ripped shirt exposing some fresh cuts and wounds. Blood was trickling down both his muscly arms like a tap running continuously. He had white teeth that looked like it could crush metal and his facial features looked horrible. Before I could control myself I gasped. His purple, bruised lip was slit in tiny cuts and swelled immensely. His eyes were hardly noticeable because they were circled an unhealthy ash black. His eyes were around crazily.

Newt approached the boy cautiously, a hand held out to him. I noticed an odd limp he had as he calmly moved towards him in slow movements.

“Alby, what happened? Should we call th-“ Alby gripped Newts throat firmly and strangled him. Newt gasped for breath, his eyes as big as plates. I jumped to action. I looked around desperately for a weapon. A knife glimmered in the light. I grasped it tightly and did what I never thought I will do. Newt attempted to pry Alby’s firm grip off his neck but failed. He was losing colour fast. He looked helpless which brought a sickening feel to my stomach. I held the knife up to Alby’s neck threatingly.

“Ably, let Newt go or else I will kill you, damn will I hurt your sorry butt.” I snarled edging the sharp knife closer to his skin. Alby’s eyes went wide as he seemed to consider. I smirked winningly as I looked to Newt. Newt was slammed against the wall by Alby’s unnatural strength. My knife was closer now, actually digging into his skin. It all happened in a blur. Suddenly, I was off my feet dangling in Alby’s grasp. I shrieked loudly trying to kick him in the knee. His fingers were clasped around my neck strongly. My breaths were haggard and slow. Everything turned fuzzy. I could only see flashes of images. Alby’s bruised eyes. Newt’s worried expression. I heard shouting that drowned out my screams.

All I was thinking of was my crappy life. I only survived one day in the Glade. I hardly got to experience my life or get to know Newt and the other Gladers. My life. Wasted. Gone. I felt myself losing conscience as images flood my mind.

---Memory—

“Katy. I um wanted to uh- Say I uh-“ A gorgeous blonde boy said next to me. We were outside in fluffy white snowy weather. I wore a warm beanie and a large coat that did nothing to give me warmth. I shivered uncontrollably. I could feel snowflakes brush my slippery, cold skin. I was in a memory. I could feel it. I could not recognize the dirty-blonde haired boy next to me. But then I saw his stunning brown eyes. Then I knew. Newt. Why would he be in my memory? Newt shrugged off his woolly coat and offered it to me generously. I nodded quickly slipping the lemon-scented coat over my small body. I was about 14. He stared into my eyes as if he was deciding something.

“Katy. I liked you ever since I met you but I guess I wanted to say was- Will you be my girlfriend?” He nervously asked. I yelped and threw myself in his arms giggling softly. He stumbled back slightly but regained his balance as a heart-warming chuckle escaped his lips.

“Of course I will Newt- I love you!!” I screamed as we parted slightly. His eyes were beautiful and ones I could stare at all day. Our foreheads rested together as he smiled a huge grin. He leaned in ever so slowly..

---End of Memory—