43. I Want You

Laura's POV

Literally the next day after talking to Chris it felt like the fog was lifted. I could focus again but in the back of my mind I constantly wanted to text him. I wanted to know how his day was going. I'd come up with conversation starters but didn't have the courage to send any. I wasn't allowed to do that. I couldn't intrude.

As promised Will got me a job at the hospital again. It was actually a pleasant surprise to see everyone I worked with, to see everyone who cared for me in my time of need.

A week had past since the wedding. Demi was off in Hawaii. I loved the pictures she was sharing on social media.

I was hanging out with my sisters most of my free time. They would hardly let me take a break since I'd come back. I guess they were afraid I might run off or something.

Jamie would often come eat lunch with me at the hospital. She'd bring me food and coffee, knowing it was my guilty pleasure.

"You don't always have to bring me food. I'll gain so much weight if you keep bringing me gourmet burgers." But it was so delicious.

She waved off my comment. "I work right cross the street from here and the burger place is 3 blocks down and worth it."

I offered to bring her food every once in awhile but she was never in the office. She was a social worker working with child sex abuse cases and was on call a majority of the time.

"How's Aaron? Any wedding bells yet?"

Everyone was getting married now a days.

She smiled. She wasn't the type to feed into the norm.

"He's great. We're great and not yet. If it happens it happens."

Jamie was quite the persistent person. She loved sticking her nose into her friends business if she thought it was for their well being. She thought Chris and I were made for each other. That was why she kept trying so hard to get us together. She always meant well.

So when she wasn't as persistent with making Aaron propose to her I had my theories. I think she was afraid.

"You'll make a great wife. You're as beautiful on the outside as you are on this inside." I think she needed some encouragement.

"Thanks. It's a big commitment. I just want to be sure he's the one." She didn't believe in divorce.

Neither did I. Or at least we never wanted to go through it.

I smiled and took her hand. "I missed you." It felt so good to be around her and the people I grew up with. They understood me on a level most couldn't.

Yes I wasn't the same but I was still that person at one point.

"I missed you too." She went in for a hug and we shared the same loving energy.

She was a comfort to me; a solace I nearly forgot about. Why did I stay away for so long?

"Oh that reminds me," we pulled apart. Her expression was the sweetest form of mischief. "Chris is single again."

My chest caved. Did I hear that right? "What?"

Her smile widened. "Chris Compton the love of your life is single again. You better go get him." She nudged me a bit.

No. No. That was not what I wanted.

She frowned. "Why do you look sad? This is good news Laura."

I shook my head, closed my eyes, and rubbed my temples. I was getting a headache. "I didn't come here to mess up Chris' life."

I didn't want him to think I was trying to sabotage his love life. I truly wanted him to be happy,  with whom ever that meant.