26. Reunited And It Feels So Good

Laura's POV

I couldn't believe it had been a month since I last saw Chris, one very long month. Thinking about him always gave me stupid butterflies. He called and texted me pretty much everyday but it wasn't the same. I was guilty of horrible flashbacks, imagining him never coming and dumping me. It was a useless insecurity. Chris reassured me with every FaceTime and Snapchat message.

Snapchat was a creative way of teasing the crap out of him. He'd send me selfies of himself at the gym and in return I'd pose provocatively just to rattle him up.

Of course he had to go back to California to quit his job and pack up his things. He escorted his grandmother since she decided to move in with one of his aunts living there. She wanted Chris to have her house because she didn't have the heart to sale it.

"So I'll see you tonight when I get off work?" I tried to keep my cool but I was freaking excited.

He was finally coming back but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to pick him up from the airport.

"Yes. I was thinking of ordering Chinese. What do you think?"

It was like he read my mind. I get so hungry after a long shift. "Chicken Lo mien please. I can't wait till seven." My mouth was watering just thinking about it.

"Alright. I'm about to board. See you in a few hours."

I hung up and clipped my ID badge onto my scrubs. These next few hours were definitely going to drag. Picturing Chris' face made it all the more tolerable.

Even though we had our month long cyber connection no one knew about our relationship. After telling my parents I broke off my engagement to Will I thought it was too soon to mention another guy. Although my mother assumed right about why I couldn't go through with it. She knew exactly what was going on.

I didn't want people to talk. Especially Chris' family. It was better to hold off on labels. I didn't confirm nor deny the questions my best friends bombarded me with afterwards. Demi was the only one I expressed anything to but that was because she was my human diary. And she knew how to keep a secret. Chris didn't seem to mind keeping what we had on the down low.

I would see Will occasionally at the hospital. He kept busy but that was because he was expecting a promotion soon. And he deserved it. Every time he'd spot me he'd dazzle me with his gorgeous dimple smile as if there was no bad blood between us. I think the break gave him an advantage. He didn't have to waste anytime entertaining me. He could focus solely on his career and man was he crushing it. I was so proud of him.

He was sitting in his desk slumped over some paperwork. He looked exhausted. I pitied him with a coffee, and prepared it just like he liked it.

I knocked so I wouldn't startle him if he was napping. His big hazel eyes rose up to catch my appearance. He mustered up a tired smile. "Laura."

"Hey. I brought you a coffee because you look like death and you're starting to scare patients."

He rubbed his face, laughing. "That bad, huh?" He sipped the coffee with gratitude. "Thank you."

"No problem."

Even though we weren't together, those habits were hard to break out of. I liked caring for him. Will worked so hard it was like he needed me to watch over him. It was nice to be needed that way.

"I read your latest case study. It's amazing. You're doing incredible things."

He knew he was amazing but the great thing about Will was he never showed off.

"Yeah. It's been taking a lot out of me." I could tell. "How are you? Are you happy?"

"I'm good and yeah. I'm pretty happy." I was guessing he was asking about Chris and I.