33. A Monster's Heart

Laura's POV

Edith's wedding went by quick, or so it seemed to me. It took us 2 hours to cake our faces with makeup and fix each bridesmaids hair to last the entire day. Mine was curled and halfway pinned back. The dresses were rose colored, flashy, and long. Edith wore a pure white princess gown that puffed out around the waist. Her hair was fashioned in a bun. She looked like a breath taking ballerina.

It was routine; getting to the church, taking pictures, then lining up to walk down the aisle. It was kind of de ja vu for me since Chris had been my partner before.

He looked so damn good in his suit despite how awful he felt. I was right in predicting his fever. Chris was putting on a tough act for his gorgeous little sister but I could tell. He was burning up and quiet from exhaustion. I wasn't sure how much more his body could take without proper rest. I knew he was built like an ox now but men were babies. I could guarantee he'd crack any minute.

I lost Chris as soon as we got to the reception area. I was so glad Edith went with the winery venue. It was decorated like a sparkling twilight dream. Lights were hung everywhere, drooping down like a canopy. The tables had cute vintage lanterns and flower centerpieces that coincidentally matched the delicate trim of the fancy dinner plates.

Chris popped up to eat and then disappear again. I didn't think much of it. After all it was his sister's wedding. He had plenty of family and friends to converse with. I stayed with Jamie and Dania until Chris's mom found me.

She seemed relieved but weary from nights of unrest. "Here you are. I'm been looking for you."

I shrugged.

I had been in the same spot for the past hour. I wasn't gonna hold anything against her. With the wedding being the only thing occupying her mind for months, how could I blame her for being a bit scatter brained?

My mind would be deflating if I were her.

"Can you please take Chris home? I know he's miserable. He needs to sleep and fight off that cold. We're done taking picture for the day."

Why would I say no? I wanted my boyfriend to get better. "Of course."

Mrs. Compton's smile was animated. "I'll go pack you some more food and cake."

Mmmm. Yup, I was a complete fatty. I definitely wanted cake. "I'll go find Chris."

I took my heels off so I could find Chris faster. I greeted most of the people I passed by out of politeness. My search was coming to a dead end though. I figured surely he'd be goofing around with his cousins. But as I approached Tommy and Clark I didn't see my boyfriend anywhere.

"Where's Chris?"

Tommy pointed to the mansion. "He had to take a leak."

The mansion was being used for its kitchen and restrooms. There was a bustle of waiters running in and out and I tried to stay out of their way. I stopped at the end of the corridor when I saw Chris talking to another woman.

It was Ariel Synder. We kind of grew up together although we were technically never close. She was Sarah's good friend. I wasn't exactly sure why we never clicked. Perhaps it was because I thought she was a bit conceited. Everything had to be about her. She was, in my opinion, self absorbed. It might have been because she was so gorgeous. Her mom was a beautiful Puerto Rican and her dad was a hot African American. Ariel had flawless dark skin, amazing shiny thick hair, and model like bone structure.

Standing next to her gave me major insecurities.

Chris caught a glimpse of me and before I could walk over he turned and headed towards me. Ariel looked a little pissed that he cut her off mid sentence.