25. Love on the Brain

~Laura's POV~

Will ended up calling me the next morning. I didn't pick up; I couldn't stomach it. Instead I texted him saying I was busy. In fact I was. I was cleaning up and packing my things from his house. I had no idea I had accumulated so much in the short amount of time we were together. When I was finished loading my car I sat in the living room contemplating my decision. I wasn't regretting giving Chris another chance but I was feeling stupid rushing into a marriage without resolving my feelings. I was going to hurt Will for the second time, the source being Chris again.

I couldn't tell how long I had been there but eventually I heard the front door open. My stomach was in knots. Will walked in, caught a glimpse of me and smiled. He was particularly happy to see me so I was guessing the conference went well.

Will threw his duffle bag on the couch and started making his way towards me. I dipped my chin so he'd have to hug me first. His bear hugs were warm and heartfelt. I knew I'd miss them. We pulled apart and he tried to kiss me but I covered his lips with my hand.

"We need to talk."

His face turned solemn and confused. "Ok. How was your exhibition?"

"It was great. I sold a few pieces." I was fishing around. "And the conference?"

"It was better than I imagined. Is something wrong?"

"Something has changed." He patiently waited but on the inside I bet he was wondering what he did wrong. "I can't marry you. I need more and I'd be selfish to ask you for more. Your time is precious and people count on you."

"Laura, what are you saying? You're not getting enough attention." Will ruffled his hair in nervous habit. "I know I've been busy but you're important to me. It won't always be like this."

I shook my head wondering if I could be truly honest with him and admit Chris was also a reason. "You don't know that."

"We can work it out. I'll find a way to cut my hours." He took my hands to make his plead seep in.

"No. I can't ask you to do that."

His haunting eyes broke me down, I was really going to hurt him. "Come on Laura. We said we'd be honest. What made you change your mind? What's going on?"

It was on the tip of my tongue but he beat me to it.

"Is it because of him, that other guy you kissed?"

The twinge of rejected pain hit and I needed to explain. "Chris and I started something way before us. I never let it go. I thought I did."

And that was it. If I had dated Will before Chris ever came into the picture then this breakup wouldn't be happening. I slid my ring off and placed it in his hand.

"I really am sorry. I thought it was nothing. I told you it was and I tried convincing myself he didn't meant anything to me. I guess I was lying to myself."

Will actually didn't look that upset. "He messed up once so that automatically tells me he's an idiot. I'm betting he'll do it again. I'll be here when he does."

Wait, what? "But..." I thought he'd be angry.

He took my hands sympathetically and with aspiring affection. "I get why you're doing this. Chris was the one that got away and instead of living your life wondering what it would have been like you're giving in. Go. I don't want you over time regretting your decision to marry me. Whenever you get him out of your system you know where to find me."

I felt like a shot was fired in my ears. Did he just admit to... "You're waiting for me?"

He cradled me in his arms lovingly, kind of like a bittersweet farewell hug. "Not exactly but like you said I have a lot occupying my time. I doubt I'll have time for anyone else besides you."