31. Sisterly Bonding

Laura's POV

Anita wasn't a complete stranger but over the years we hardly stayed in contact. I got busy with school; which was no excuse, and she was focused on getting healthy. She had become a very distant friend. Getting to know her now was going to be an adventure.

How my mother managed to make up for lost time was by demanding we attend breakfast together; each and every one of us.

Anita volunteered to cook and she was impressively attentive to detail. Like she placed a green garnish next to my eggs and salsa. The unbelievable woman made salsa from scratch. Who does that?

With his mouth completely full Danny complemented our sister. "Anita this tastes amazing; not like the crap Laura tries to make."

I smacked the back my little brother's head. I typical cooked from recipes but for some reason it never turned out right. 

He scowled me defiantly. "Its true."

She giggled. "I was confined to my bed a lot. I liked watching the cooking channel. Eventually I worked my way around the kitchen."

As we eat Anita's attention fell on our niece and nephew. It made me sad thinking about all the family moments she was deprived of.

"So do you have a boyfriend?" Valerie didn't mean anything by it. She was a blunt person. Naturally her first thoughts were spit out.

Anita shyly shook her head; blushing even. "No. I never really got out of the house. I don't have many friends. I even took online courses instead of experiencing a real classroom."

"Right." Valeria probably felt dumb for opening the topic.

Anita twirled a few strands of hair between her fingers out of nervousness. Her hair was a bit shorter than mine. Her skin paler and she was thinner than me. She looked fragile and sweetly innocent.

"What did you major in?"

Her passive smile was almost subjective. "Art history. Looking and creating beautiful things helped me forget the pain."

Pain? God, I was such a selfish jerk. Why wasn't I more sympathetic?

"What about your step brother? What's he been up to?"

Her face instantly lit up. "Axel is wonderful. He's in New York right now."

I met him a handful of times. Anita was his only sibling.

"Oh nice. I've never been."

Demi walked through the back door and right into the kitchen without looking up from her phone. She was so comfortable and used to my home. She was literally family.

"Hey Laura will you do my hair for the party?"

When she finally spotted my twin her eyes widened in confusion. "Your sister's home?"

I told Demi about Anita on several occasions. Mostly emotional occasions where I had too much to drink.

"Anita this is Demi, my best friend and partner in crime."

Anita stood up; thrilled that Demi was just as excited to meet her. I knew they were going to get along.

"This is going to be double the fun. Is she coming with us?"

I shrugged. We were so caught up in the reunion I forgot I even had to go.

"What party?"

"It's kind of a work thing for me. We're throwing a ball at the hospital. The patients get to dress up and have fun dancing. You should come if you want?"