22. Waiting on the Past

-Laura's POV-

Today was Mr. Compton's funeral. I thought about not going because Chris would be there. Would it be awkward now since I had my answer? I knew the reason why he never called. Did it change anything? I'd like to say it didn't but maybe it did. I understood where he was coming from. If he was telling me the truth, which I think he was, then it made sense to me. He was ashamed.

I made up my mind. I had to go. I had known the Compton family pretty much all my life. I couldn't disrespect them like that. Even if I just made a quick appearance, at least it was something.

I liked wearing black on a daily basis. This time it was a morbid, bittersweet taste. My entire wardrobe was almost all black. I decided on a simple lace dress and sweater. I didn't have much choice since it was the only thing I had lying around at Will's house.

"Where are you going?"

I thought he had already left for work.

"Mr. Compton's funeral."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and that was how I knew he was irritated.

"I've known that family for as long as I can remember. I need to go." I wasn't going to let him stop me.

"I'll go with you."

I knew in my heart he meant no harm but that wasn't a very good idea. "No. You got in a fight with one of the family members. It's best you stay out of it."

Will was a reasonable man so I knew he'd see where I was coming from.

"I won't be long." I wasn't planning on it anyway.

His face was still swollen and bruised. Chris laid a good number on him. I traced the fresh scars on his cheek.

"What were you thinking?" Will was a professional. Something like that could jeopardize his career. "Since when do you let talk get to you."

"He punched me first."

I wouldn't put it past Chris but Will must have said something to fire him up.

"What were you fighting about?"

He kissed the top of my head. "It doesn't matter."

Was he kidding? "Will, that fight could have cost you your job. Of course it matters."

"But it didn't so drop it Laura."

He had never gotten smart with me before, not like this. There was more to the story.

"I think we should talk about it because obviously it's bothering you."

We always worked it out. Why had that suddenly changed?

"He said you kissed him back."

Ahhh. That dumbass. "And you believed him?"

He hesitated and that hurt. I had never given him any reason to doubt my loyalty. I hated cheaters especially after dating one.

"I mean..."

"I get it. I'm sorry I made you feel that way. I'm sorry I made you even for a second doubt my commitment to you."

"Laura," he crossed the room to pull me into his arms. "I'm an idiot. I'm sorry. I was jealous."

That didn't erase the fact that he thought I was unfaithful. I shouldn't be this mad about it. If I were in his shoes would I have thought differently?

"No. I forgive you."

I couldn't stay angry with him. I blamed Chris. Chris was the source of all my problems lately.