3. Heating Rage

Dania had only been in my car for five minutes and already she was going through my stack of CD's trying to find something to listen to. All of my music was good but for some reason she wasn't in the mood for anything tonight.

"So what did you get Clark for his birthday?" I asked to distract her from rummaging through anymore of my stuff.

"I found this superman tie and I knew I had to get if for him."

We had this inside joke were we called Clark Superman/Clark Kent. When he dresses up in a suit and wears his thick glasses he could totally pass as the super hero.

"What did you get him?" Dania stopped scattering my things and began fiddling with her phone.

"I saw this cute girl at Target and I got her number for him."

Dania torn her eyes away from her phone and stared at me. "Really?"

I laughed. "No, but you know he'd love it if I did."

"True."

Clark was a ladies man. He wasn't shy. He had no trouble talking to women but that might be from the attention he was already getting from them. He was a cute kind of corky but totally hot guy.

We rounded the corner to his house and saw the whole street crowded with cars. It seemed like no one wanted to miss out on a Compton celebration. A lot of his cousins were standing outside on the porch. It was a lovely night; the weather was amazing. My heart was over the moon when I didn't see Chris but I couldn't get too excited. He was probably inside.

I was pretty good friends with all his girl cousins because they were honestly really easy to get along with. We hugged and entered the packed house. It was decorated with random blue streamers and balloons. I maneuvered my way through the crowd and went straight for the kitchen. The tables were filled with colorful foods and drinks; there was enough to feed the whole town. Yup, the Compton's sure knew how to throw a party.

I poured myself a glass of red punch and turned to scan the room. My eyes caught a tall dark figure toward the back who was conspicuously talking to a group. His black hair was a little more messy than usual but it only added to his undeniably alluring bad boy image. His muscular tan arms glowed in comparison to his blue V-neck shirt.

My stomach quenched when his green eyes suddenly found mine. I almost threw my neck out twisting my head so fast. I bit my lip to keep from cursing. Why did he have to be here? Wait, cause Chris was Clark's cousin, I told myself like I was a dumb. I felt a terrible disaster coming on in the near future.

"Laura! You came," I heard an enthusiastic Clark say from behind me.

"Of course I did." I caged him in a bear hug. "Happy Birthday, Superman."

He smirked, his signature Compton grin. "Thanks. So food and drinks are in the kitchen; help yourself."

I raised my cup. "I already did."

"Good. Now don't leave so soon. We have a few games happening in a couple minutes."

I nodded and he left to greet other people. I guess everyone else was here a bit early but I was like what; one hour late. Who comes early to a party?

I found the table covered with wrapped presents and decided to put my gift there too before I forgot. Sarah stopped me just as I kind of tripped over someone's big foot.

"Laura!" She flung her tiny arms around my neck and it was enough to steady me. "Thank you so much again for helping me out the other day."

I wrapped my arms around her too and tugged her tighter. "It's all good Sarah. I'm glad I could help."