32. Girlfriend

<Dom's POV>

The sight of Letty sleeping next to me had always been one of my favorite views. Her hair messily framing her peaceful face, her body curled up in the bedsheets, shielding her from the world. I hated leaving her like this, but I knew that she wouldn't support what I was about to do. Hell, I didn't even know if I supported it. 

A thirty-minute drive later I stood in front of the not so humble mansion of Deckard and Owen Shaw. I couldn't believe I was about to compromise my principles and honor for money, but here I was ringing the doorbell of the devil's house. 

"Dom," Owen nodded at me as he opened the door, seemingly not surprised by my sudden visit. "I heard what Tran did," Owen said, grinning slightly. 

"Then you know that my car needs some serious work." 

"And that needs money," Owen completed the train of thought. "So you want back in on the heists?" 

"Yeah," I grumbled, angry that Tran had put me in this position. Everyone knew how much I hated Owen. 

"We are looking for new drivers, but I have to warn you. If you join we're doing it my way. I'm the boss, you understand?" 

I nodded, clenching my jaw. 

"He's just joking. Likes to play pretend," a taller somewhat familiar figure stepped out of the car in the driveway making his way to the house. From the similarity of his and Owen's appearance, I'm guessing that this was his older brother.

"Shut up, Deckard," Owen replied, earning a chuckle from his sibling. "Anyway, it's going to be as usual. You go to our meet up spot, you get your car there and we'll discuss the plan." 

"See you then," I nodded, making my way home as fast as possible. 

----------

I tried sneaking back into Letty's room without waking her up, but she was already fully dressed looking at me skeptically. 

"Where have you been?" 

"Don't worry about it."

She sighed heavily, clearly annoyed by my distanced behavior. It's not that I didn't want to tell her, I just didn't want to put her in danger. 

"We're really doing this again, Dom?" 

"What do you mean?" Of course, I knew what she meant. 

"You're shutting me out again, but I know. It's best to give you space and someday you'll trust me enough to tell me, or you'll be so upset that you actually want to talk about it. But what about me? Maybe it's excruciating to be in your arms one second and be pushed away the next. So please, Dom. If you care about me as much as you've been claiming these past few weeks then please, just tell me what's bothering you." 

I didn't expect her to spill her thoughts like that. She usually had her whole I don't give a fuck-whatever vibe.

"Alright. I um-", I really don't want to tell her. But I can't lose her again. "I went to Owen's house," I grumbled, avoiding direct eye contact. "I need money for the car and the fastest way is through Owen. I didn't want to tell you, because I was ashamed that I had to do that." 

I knew she didn't approve of my decision and that she would try to change my mind later. But for now, she lightly pecked me on the lips and whispered: "I understand. Be careful." 

----------------

Weirdly, she didn't bring the Owen thing up again. She just frowned every time I left in the middle of the night, turning away from me while I snuck out of the room. At some point she stopped sneaking into my room altogether and we slept in separate rooms. 

"Letty, please just come with me. Stay with me tonight. I miss you." 

She shook her head. 

"Don't be like that."

"Like what?" She yelled angrily. 

"Shutting everyone off. Just tell me what you're thinking." 

"You really want to know what I think?" She asked rhetorically. I knew that what was about to come was the hurtful, unleashed truth. "I think you're being an idiot. A selfish idiot. You're putting yourself, me, and Mia in danger. And I get that that car means a lot to you. But you're risking going back to prison. You're risking all of our lives! And let me tell you, if you got out of prison on probation, just to get thrown back in, then that's not the Dom I fell in love with. And I won't stick around to take care of everything this time."

Did she say, love? I know that she was yelling at me, and this was so not the moment, but I couldn't believe it. "Love?" I asked, grinning like an idiot. 

"What?" She screamed.

"You said you love me." 

"NO!" she hesitated, "Well, yeah. But that's not the point." 

"Oh, that so is the point. I love you too, Letty." I pulled her into a hug, whispering in her ear "I'll stop with the heists."

That day, Letty and I came to a silent agreement. We both knew that our relationship was taken to the next level and without ever asking she had become my girlfriend. 

------------------

"Oh my god, I'm so happy for you," Mia squealed when the news got revealed three days later at our family barbeque. She hugged Letty tightly, whispering something in her ear that made her giggle. 

"Finally, dawg." Leon grinned while boxing me against the shoulder in a friendly matter. 

"Don't screw this up," Vince whispered in my ear when he hugged me. I could tell that he was dead serious. Letty meant a lot to both of us.