Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Severus?" Remus asked tentatively, standing awkwardly on the edge of the Forbidden Forest.

Severus had sent him a Patronus shortly after he returned to Hogwarts and Remus would never admit to anyone that it had made him scream.

Suddenly there was a rustle and Remus jumped back, terrified, as a massive phoenix descended from the tree next to him and transformed into Severus.

"Bloody hell!" Remus exclaimed. "You could told me you were going to be a great big orange bird."

"A phoenix," Severus pointed out drily but his heart wasn't in it and Remus noticed this.

"Severus, what happened? Lily says you just sort of panicked and left."

Severus ran a stressed hand through his wayward hair.

"That's exactly what happened. She was about to hold my hand and... I don't know, I panicked."

Remus sighed.

"Well, don't worry about it."

Severus looked up and gave him an incredulous glance.

"How on earth can I not worry about it? I hurt her, Remus."

"Don't worry," Remus repeated, sounding smug. "I sorted it all out."

Severus noticed his tone and gave him a dangerous look. Remus stepped back a bit, wary.

"I_ I spoke to her. I told her and Petunia what you'd gone through. They know, Severus. They understand."

He extended a hand to give Severus a pat on the back and the other boy flinched back. Remus lowered his hand.

"How did they take it?" Severus asked, his voice harsh and uncertain.

"Lily cried," Remus admitted. "She's still crying, I think. I left her with Petunia."

Severus covered his face with his hand. Remus gave him a pitying look.

"They understand," he repeated, stressing the last word.

"How do you know that?" Severus questioned, removing the hand from his face.

Remus gazed at him aghast. Tears, actual tears, were flowing freely down the other boy's face.

"Severus," he said, his voice breaking. "You have to trust me on this one. They honestly understand."

He embraced Severus and held the crying boy close.

"I hurt her," Severus wept into Remus' shoulder. "I said I never would and I hurt her."

"Oh, Severus," Remus murmured, patting Severus on the back.

And, as they stood there hugging, Remus vowed to look out for Severus. Always.

*

Lily was waiting for Severus when he and Remus came into the Entrance Hall. There was no sign that Severus had cried in the last fifteen minutes.

"Severus!" She exclaimed and flew across the hall to give him a massive bear-hug.

"Lily," he said, startled.