Chapter Twenty-Five

Severus spent several days in near silence. Remus said nothing about the change in his appearance from a bruised face to an unblemished one. He still, kindly, hovered protectively around Severus to revert any unwanted attention. He also, thoughtfully, informed Lily that Severus wouldn't be in a talkative mood any time soon.

"What do you mean?" She asked, confused, when he first told her.

"He's," Remus hesitated, "had a bad week."

"What's happened?"

"I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not the right person to tell you that. It's up to Severus to tell you."

"But he's told you!" Exclaimed Lily.

"I talked to him briefly on the train."

"Where was he?"

"The luggage compartment. He didn't want to speak to anyone so I left."

Remus felt justified in telling a lie in this instance. Given the fact that Severus hadn't even mentioned last year's incident to Lily, Remus could only assume that he didn't want to Lily to know about this and worry.

"But you know what's wrong?" She questioned, brows furrowing in concern.

"Not entirely," Remus admitted.

It's not as if Severus had told Remus what had happened - he hadn't had to. Some things were just instinctive.

Lily made to speak again but Remus interrupted her before she could.

"Look, Lily, I really can't say. Severus will tell us when he's ready and not before."

"Do you think it was something that happened in the Christmas holidays?" Lily still asked, looking upset. "He was with me for Christmas."

"No, don't worry," he reassured quickly.

"He wasn't with us on the day before we went back to Hogwarts," she said thoughtfully. "I don't know where he went."

Remus declined to comment.

"How was Christmas?" He asked instead.

"Oh yes, it was really good!" Lily said, instantly rejuvenated, and beginning to talk animatedly about her holidays.

Remus let her talk. If there was one thing Lily liked to talk about, it was the holidays and seeing her family.

Later, Remus encountered Severus in their dormitory. Severus hadn't attended any lessons during the week and had rarely visited the Great Hall for meals, with Remus often taking some salad or a sandwich for him. Dumbledore had informed all the teachers that Severus had every excuse to be missing their lessons and, as expected, only Professor Bulstrode had had a problem with it.

"How was her reaction?" Severus asked simply.

Remus paused in the doorway, before shutting the door.

"Lily's? She was confused. How did you know I'd spoken to her?"

"Your expression," Severus replied. "You didn't know whether to mention it."

"Well, she was understandably confused."

Remus stared at Severus for a moment.