Chapter Fifteen

"Today we will be studying werewolves."

Severus yawned and Remus glared pointedly at him. It was the day before Hallowe'en, the anniversary of Lily's death and, once again, he was utterly miserable. To add to his misery, Professor Bulstrode had decided that it would be entertaining to lecture on werewolves as a sort of Hallowe'en prank, despite the fact that they hadn't even learnt about kappas or red caps yet. Severus could say, without a shadow of a doubt, that Bulstrode was a terrible Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Bored, Mr Snape?" Bulstrode questioned, glaring at him.

She may hate him but they could both attest to the fact that his detentions had been both pointless and tedious.

"Sorry, Professor, just tired," he smiled politely back.

To his eternal pleasure, she accepted this and moved on.

"Werewolves, or lycanthropes, become fearsome creatures when bitten during the full moon by another werewolf. Silver and dittany can seal a fresh wound but not save the victim from becoming a werewolf themselves - a terrible shame."

Professor Bulstrode glanced round at them all. Remus studiously avoided eye contact with her.

"Muggles, of course, cannot survive the bite of a werewolf, except in very rare cases. There are tales told of victims begging for death rather than becoming a beast like a werewolf - both feared and undoubtedly hated."

Severus saw Remus tense beside him and felt only anger. Bulstrode was a pure-blood supremacist who, as most supremacists did, had a lot of unfounded hate against half-breeds like centaurs and werewolves.

"There was a potion invented a couple of years ago which 'subdues' the werewolf whilst it is under the effects of the full moon. However, this potion, the Wolfsbane Potion, cannot be relied upon, leaving werewolves to be feared."

Severus shivered with barely concealed anger. He didn't care what she said most of the time but Remus was his friend, a werewolf who didn't have to be feared, especially since his potion did bloody work!

When he had made the Wolfsbane Potion for Remus and seen the effects it had on his life, Severus had decided then and there to release it onto the market, but anonymously. He may want the best for werewolves but, at the time, he'd figured that becoming well-known for supporting werewolves was possibly not a good tactic so early on. However, after hearing Bulstrode speak, he was all for putting his name in favour of werewolves; hell, he would put his name in favour of anyone who wasn't called Ophelia Bulstrode. Or Voldemort, he supposed.

To the amazement of everybody in their class, it wasn't Severus who decided to speak out first. Instead it was Emily Macmillan, a shy Hufflepuff who was possibly the quietest person in their entire year.

"Werewolves aren't always beasts to be feared," she spoke.

In the hushed classroom, Macmillan's voice carried far and wide. The girl continued.

"When the full moon isn't up, werewolves are humans just like any of us. Lycanthropy is an affliction, not a choice. And werewolves can't choose what they do when they're influenced by their wolfish instincts. So, yes, werewolves are beasts to be feared if they haven't taken the Wolfsbane Potion before the full moon rises but, most of the time, they are normal people like us who have feelings too."