Chapter Thirty-Five

"I didn't think this was even possible. We arrived before the train had even arrived."

It was September the 1st, the start of Severus and Remus' fourth year, and they'd been so early they arrived before the Hogwarts Express was even at Platform 9 ¾. As such, since the train left at 11am and they'd turned up at 9am, they'd decided to walk the 2 miles to the Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alley and then sit outside Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour. Florean Fortescue, Eileen Snape's great friend during their Hogwarts days, had been more than happy to give his late friend's son and his friend a free ice cream sundae. It had been awhile since Severus had seen Florean, and, since Fortescue's was hardly busy so early in the morning, the owner sat with the two boys at their table.

"They have to keep the aura of mystery," Fortescue commented wisely. "If the Express was there early, people might start to wonder if it was stationed there permanently rather than being kept somewhere in the British countryside."

"True," Severus said, thinking it over. "Anyway, Remus and I should start to get going. We don't want to miss the train."

He stood and Remus copied him. 

Fortescue's eyes met Severus'.

"I expect letters this year, young Dumbledore," Fortescue told him. "I'm not faking my interest."

"That's what I keep telling him," Remus said.

Severus gave him an irritated look. Remus left him and Fortescue alone, going to wait outside.

"You're gaining interest, Severus," Florean said seriously, "And not all of it welcome. Be careful. Keep yourself and your friends safe."

"I always do!" Severus protested.

"You have to keep them safe now more than ever," Florean warned. "There is a war on the horizon, young man, and I will not see you or Remus fall victim to it."

"I promise I'll keep them safe," Severus said solemnly, and left.

"I only hope you stay safe too, Severus," Florean sighed, watching the boy and his friend vanish back up the street.

*

"He's nice," Remus pointed out to Severus. "He's not faking an interest, or whatever you think he's doing."

Severus sighed. He couldn't exactly reply that he'd seen Florean Fortescue die before and so he didn't want to get involved. People were safer when they weren't near Severus. Lily and all the Order members had learnt that the hard way in his first lifetime.

"I don't..." Severus started awkwardly, searching for the words he needed. "I don't like letting people in. I don't feel comfortable doing so. It's not like people usually like me."

"Well that's where you're wrong," Remus said confidently. "Plenty of people like you and I'm one of them."

"Hmmm," was all Severus said and they continued on their way to the station.

Once they reached Platform 9 ¾, where the Hogwarts Express was now waiting, he and Remus found a compartment and Severus levitated his and Remus' trunks onto the luggage rack before flopping into the seat opposite Remus next to the window.

"What do you think is on the cards for this year?" Severus asked vacantly, gazing out of the dusty window at the filling platform.

"No werewolves, that's for sure," Remus said lightly. "I know you don't want excessive credit and gratitude but you do deserve it."

Severus was about to respond but then Regulus Black appeared in the doorway.

"Deserve what?" He asked, plopping himself into the seat next to Remus.

"Remember, Remus, Regulus deserves half the credit," Severus pointed out. "He helped make the potion."

"Half the credit is overkill," Regulus said, embarrassed. "I was your sounding board. I'll take twelve percent of the credit."

"Such a delightfully Muggle phrase coming from a Black," Severus commented, amused.

"Oh, shut up Severus."

"But, seriously," Severus said, leaning forwards, "Do you want your name on the patent? It's as much your creation as it is mine."

Regulus seemed torn, and Severus could well understand why. Regulus was the apple of his mother's eye and being named on the patent of a potion designed to cure werewolves, dark creatures, once and for all was a sure way to lose that position. Severus also knew, although Regulus probably didn't realise it, that it would gain unwanted attention from more malevolent parties, namely the Death Eaters.

"Why the hell not?" Regulus said finally. "My parents should know I have no allegiance to Pureblood supremacists."

"Spoken like a true Sirius Black," Severus grinned.

Remus laughed, while Regulus scowled.

"I think not."

*

Lily and Petunia soon joined them.

"Good summer, boys?" Lily asked pleasantly, slipping into the seat next to Severus and squeezing his hand.

"Regulus will see his name next to mine on the patent for the lycanthropy potion," Severus said proudly.

Lily clapped her hands excitedly.

"Oh that's brilliant, Reg!"

"What's so brilliant?"

Sirius Black emerged in the doorway, a perpetual scowl on his face, much like Regulus.

"Your brother helped create a potion to cure lycanthropes, werewolves to you, over the summer," Severus said evenly. "What did you do this summer?"

Sirius stared at Severus, gobsmacked, then turned to Regulus.

In a slightly stunned voice he asked, "Can I have a word with you outside, Regulus?"

Regulus agreed and the two went out.

"Do you think he'll be alright?" Lily asked Severus anxiously.

"Oh, he'll be absolutely fine," Severus replied smugly, steepling his hands like the mastermind that he was. "I believe we've just gained another ally."

"Not another Black," Remus groaned. "Regulus' dramaticism is enough to last me a lifetime."

"Well, get another lifetime then, Remus," Severus replied with a crooked grin. "There's another Black in town."

*****

A.N. So, as VP8891 requested, Regulus' name will be on the patent for the potion too! Enjoy your dedication for being an awesome reader! 

Severus of course now needs to look out for his friends more than ever, and Florean Fortescue still cares for him, despite Severus brushing him off at every turn.

Sorry for the delay - it turns out I'm not very good at updating every day! As such, I won't promise to update daily but I shall try to update more often. :)

Thank you for reading and please comment if you like!