Chapter Three

"Severus?"

Severus felt his heart sink. They'd paid the bill, now all that was left was to face an old acquaintance.

"You guys go on," he muttered. "I'll see you later."

They gave him strange looks but left nevertheless.

Fortescue gave Severus a sad little smile.

"I saw the death notice," he said, searching Severus' face for something, Eileen's features perhaps.

"I'm sorry she never visited again," he said, voice thick with undisguised emotion. "She_ she never was herself after that. It just went downhill."

"I wanted to attend her funeral," the man stated mournfully. "But there were no announcements, nothing."

"I wanted her to be left alone," Severus murmured, staring at the floor. "It wasn't that you weren't welcome_"

"I understand, Severus."

And Fortescue did something few had ever attempted - he hugged Severus, who simply stood there, motionless. Then, unbidden, a tear slipped from the corner of Severus' eye and splashed, unnoticed, onto the older man's shoulder.

*

Later that day, Lily sat cross-legged in Petunia's room. Severus leant against the wall and Petunia herself occupied the chair by the desk. Severus was staying at their house for a couple of days before they were due to go back to Hogwarts.

"Where do you think I'll be sorted?" Petunia asked curiously.

They'd spent a large part of the evening discussing Hogwarts since Severus was undoubtedly the best person Petunia could ask about the castle, its inhabitants and the lessons.

"Ravenclaw, almost certainly," Severus said immediately.

"Really?" Said Lily. "I think all the houses work equally."

"Ravenclaw is the clever one, isn't it?" Petunia wondered aloud.

"Well, not officially," Severus admitted. "But yes, it is. Dumbledore tries to pretend that all the houses are inclusive but that's not the case. The Sorting Hat does what it likes."

"I'm not particularly brave, though," Lily said, confused.

Both Severus and Petunia laughed outright.

"You are extremely brave, Lils," Severus stated. "One of the bravest people I know."

"Not as brave as you," she responded shyly.

"And you're stubborn," Petunia commented.

"That's not a house trait!"

Severus and Petunia laughed for a long time and didn't stop.

*

Eventually the time of their return to Hogwarts arrived and, when Severus and the two sisters boarded the train, both girls were buzzing with excitement. They found the right compartment soon enough - Remus was already nodding off against the window and Regulus was gleefully waiting until he did fall asleep to play a prank on him.

"Where are the girls?" Lily asked.

Remus woke up abruptly, startled by Lily's relatively loud, accusatory voice.