Chapter Seventeen

As if in mockery, Dumbledore's promise was tested just a few days later when there came a firm knock at the door of his office. He frowned and rose. Who needed him during the school day? The teachers were, obviously, teaching and students rarely got sent to him as a form of punishment - Minerva knew how prone he was to letting pupils get out of punishments.

"Come in," he called.

The head boy entered. 

"Professor McGonagall requires your assistance, Professor," he said urgently. "A seventh-year and two sixth-year Slytherins are duelling a third-year Ravenclaw."

"Duelling?" Albus asked, incredulous. "A third-year?" 

He had no doubt as to who that could be. The boy nodded. 

"Severus Snape. He's giving as good as he's got, Sir. Please come quickly."

Despairing at the sound of Severus' name, Albus raised an eyebrow. 

"Very well. Lead on."

*

Ricochets of light bounced around inside a vast, shimmering dome that occupied most of the large Entrance Hall. The duellers stood inside the dome, with many onlookers outside at the edge of the hall. The Slytherins were Bellatrix Black, and Rabastan and Rodolphus Lestrange, and they were perspiring greatly. However Severus merely stood opposite, fending off every attack with a bored look. Lily and Remus were watching him anxiously but he spared them not a glance.

Albus approached the duellers tentatively, Minerva and Filius by his side. Pomona and Horace were keeping the crowd back from the dome and the duellers inside it. The three Slytherins, acknowledging the headmaster, sensed their time was up and decided to go out, at the very least, with a bang. They spoke simultaneously, all with manic grins on their faces.

"Crucio!"

For once, Severus seemed the slightest bit worried. He conjured up a shield which glowed gold with power and muttered, "Fianto Duri," multiple times to no avail. Severus could feel the three curses behind the shield and was weakening rapidly, his magical core draining from the strength put into the shield. All three eventually found their target of flesh and bone.

Severus collapsed to his knees, his wand dropping to the flagstones. He screamed in agony and clutched at his heart. Bellatrix was crowing to Rodolphus. Rabastan turned to celebrate with them, and that was when Severus had his come-uppance. He swept his hand through the air and wandlessly disarmed the three, forcing them to their knees, and rolling up their left sleeves where dark marks were clearly seen. And then Severus collapsed, still writhing in pain, though unconscious, with the forcefield vanishing immediately as its creator fainted. Lily, Remus, Albus, Minerva, Pomona, Horace and Filius were all at Severus' side in an instant.

"Pomona, Filius, guard Messrs Lestrange, and Miss Black. Take them to the dungeons and enlist Pringle's help. Minerva, send a Patronus to Poppy, telling her to be ready. Horace, call St. Mungo's. We shall certainly need their assistance," Albus spoke urgently. "Miss Evans, Mr Lupin, you may come with me."

Lily and Remus followed as Albus conjured a stretcher for the unconscious boy and levitated him gently through the air. 

Poppy was anxiously waiting for them in the Hospital Wing.

"Oh, Severus!" She gasped, clapping her hands over her mouth at the sight of the flailing body. "What was it?"