Chapter One

A.N. As this is a sequel, hopefully everybody will already be aware but this story will contain triggers such as panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and domestic abuse. I'm trying to portray Severus (and his state of mind) as clearly as I can but this does lead to some upsetting scenes. Please PLEASE do not read if you think it will be triggering for you. This will be one of the only warnings, as I haven't had any complaints before. :)

Everyone waited for several moments while Petunia stood apprehensively. After a few minutes, however, her lip trembled and she ran out. Lily followed close behind. Severus was left awkwardly standing in front of Mr and Mrs Evans.

"I'm really sorry," Severus said, flapping his hands stressfully. "It should've worked, I don't know what's wrong with it."
Rose exchanged a look with Mark and went to hug Severus.
"It's fine, Severus," she whispered into his ear. "We never expected there to be a miracle. It's amazing that you tried."

Suddenly there was a commotion and Lily reappeared dragging Petunia by the sleeve.
"Show them, Petunia," Lily hissed excitedly, "Show them!"
Smiling slightly, Petunia moved towards Severus and outstretched one hand. Similarly to that time all those years ago with Lily, a flower bloomed from the centre of her hand.

Rose clapped her hands over her mouth. Mark gave Petunia a delighted one-armed hug. Lily beamed. Severus simply stood stock-still, flabbergasted. After the initial effect, Severus had assumed the worst. Though never normally one to doubt his own ability, he was beginning to confess internally that strengthening magical cores was perhaps too impossible a feat for a mere mortal, even a reformed one at that.

"It's beautiful," Rose breathed, taking Petunia's hand.
"My two amazing girls," Mark said, his voice full of wonder as he embraced all three women.
Severus turned away, suddenly choked by emotion. It had been Petunia's dream to have magic like her younger sister and Lily's to have Tuney at Hogwarts with her, but this was now just an unwelcome reminder that Severus' family barely existed even this time round and that he would never have anyone to call his own.

"Severus."
He was wrenched from his miserable thoughts by Petunia.
"Thank you. So_ so much. You know how much it means to me."
"You're welcome," he said briefly. "I'll leave you to your... Celebrations."

He made to leave but Petunia put a hand on his arm. Lily and her parents were still hugging excitedly.
"You can celebrate too," she said very quietly. "This is your win as much as anybody else's. You came up with a life-changing potion."
"I'm happy, too, Petunia," he responded with equal quiescence. "This wasn't for my own ulterior motive - I do genuinely want you to be happy."

"And I'm very grateful for that. Now, go and celebrate with Lily. She'll want to crow your praises till kingdom come," she laughed.
Severus nodded, bewildered at the realisation that actually Petunia was closer to Rose in personality than Lily was.

"Pleased?" Lily smiled, coming over to them.
Severus grinned.
"Of course. The amount of lives I can change with this! More wizards means less cause for wanting Muggles dead."
"Well, that's the depressing side of it," Lily shook her head ruefully. "It doesn't have to be widespread. Just make a few people happy and you've done what you're here on Earth to do."

*

And, barely a month later, he'd done just that. Severus had appealed to Professor McGonagall for the names of any Squibs of school age and had started with them so that they could begin at Hogwarts in the autumn. Then he continued with children who were younger than eleven. A few weeks left before school began again, around fifty Squibs were newly empowered witches and wizards.

He, Remus and Regulus had been invited to Lily's house so that the two boys could meet Petunia in advance of their first year at school together. Petunia would be joining in their year, despite being a year older, and had spent some stressful weeks being tutored by Severus to get her at least up to date with first year classes. Of course, many Squibs he'd helped had been closer to the end of their schooling and so Severus had run a few open classes and other professors had also helped out.

Lily and Petunia came out of the house as Severus, Regulus and Remus approached.
"Lily!" Remus said excitedly. "How has your summer been?"
"Wonderful," Lily said, smiling at Severus.
"This is Petunia," he introduced. "She'll be in our year."
Severus had already mailed the two about her status as a new witch.

"Hi Petunia," Remus greeted warmly.
Regulus waved cheerfully.
"Hi," Petunia said awkwardly.
"Hey, there's nothing to be worried about, Tuney," Lily told her. "These are my friends and I'm sure they'll be yours soon too."

"Don't get too overconfident, Lils," Regulus drawled, leaning against a nearby fence. "She's got work to do to get to our level."
Lily sucked in a breath and peered sideways at her sister. Petunia had always been particularly vulnerable to rude comments as a child. To her surprise, Petunia didn't retract into her shell, quite the opposite.

"Well, I always enjoy a challenge," she said coolly. "But is that even a challenge?"
Regulus crowed.
"I'd think she was your sister, Sevvy, what with the way she talks!"
Severus glared at him.

"Only I get to call Lily 'Lils'," he stated coldly.
"Ooh, scary!" Regulus gasped.
"And only I can call him 'Sevvy'," Lily smirked.
Petunia laughed.
"You are a weird bunch."

"Indeed, we are," Remus said, bowing. "Remus Lupin, at your service."
"I'm delighted to make your acquaintance," she replied drily, eyeing him strangely.
"Everyone ready for the new year?" Regulus asked.

Lily and Remus instantly chimed in about needing to visit Diagon Alley and Severus felt the familiar feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. They all knew he was poor but he didn't need the constant reminder. Especially since they then moved on to discussing which of their parents could take them to London.

When Severus had returned home at the beginning of the holidays, he had miraculously managed to avoid his father. But that reprieve hadn't lasted long. Severus may be an extraordinarily powerful wizard and a capable individual but fear is a strong motivator. And, in his case, a strong motivator to stay silent and let Tobias Snape treat him however he pleased.

Tobias had lost his favourite victim to suicide. And, while Severus prayed that his father wouldn't drive him to the same fate, it sometimes took him a while to get out of bed in the mornings knowing what greeting he would face. Dumbledore might say that happiness could be found even in the darkest of times, but, for Severus, it took too much effort to turn on the light.

*****

A.N. Welcome to the next installment of Severus... Reformed!

And... I apologise profusely for the depressing start. Severus isn't in the best state of mind at the moment but that doesn't mean he'll stay that way. :)

This is dedicated to my most faithful of Wattpad amigos, Cassie!!! Check out her story as she is a brilliant writer as well as an awesome friend! :)

Thank you for sticking with me on this VERY VERY VERY LONG journey and please comment!