All the lies slipped off my tongue and into the air, smooth and easy like cool water running off fragile, soft skin. 

His shoulders suddenly straighten and he nods only once, patting his hands on his blasters by his sides, to check if they are still there and then trodding off down the hall. I slip into the Escape Bay – That was too easy. 

I walked into the empty, darkened bay, the vaulted ceiling gaping like an empty void overhead and the silvery slants of starlight, piercing through the window that beamed all around the endless tables with beeping monitors and the occasional, left over lunch that began to harden overnight. 

Casting an eerie look around the silent room, I gave it no more than a sidewards glance as I slipped past with nothing more than a whisper of bravery and the slight scuff of my soft, soled boots on the stairs as I tip-toed down to the metal motor-box that was dead-bolted into the wall beside all the closed Escape Pods. 

Inhaling a large breath, I swallowed down my nerves and pried my hands into the lid of the box, pulling away the door with a loud scratch of metal, to be met with the jumble of wires and ports that flickered and twined in the defence detector. 

My shoulders sag slightly, but I still pull out the data drive from beneath my sleeve, aiming it around all the ports and trying to figure out where it must belong. 

I grip it tightly and twist it in every angle. My palm is sweaty around the device and with every move I make, I get more and more terrified and nervous. My breath quickens as I hear creaking from somewhere in the room. I gasp and turn my head in every direction, searching for movement but suddenly, everything is silent and beyond the starlight, there is just darkness and beeping lights from the monitors. Once I see that there's nothing, my tense body relaxes. This is what facing your fears must feel like.

Turning my body back to the defence detector, I poke out my tongue and just decide to try and shove the drive into every port until it fits. The metal refuses almost every port and there's only a couple of them left. I'm beginning to panic and all I can hear is my rapid breathing and all I can feel is the heat form on my cheeks as tears form in my eyes from frustration. 

Just when the metal drive glides right into the port with a satisfying, 'click', a voice from the side causes my knees to go weak and my stomach to lunge into my throat. Alarm floods my system and it pumps and beats in my veins like it's trying to escape as much as I am. I think my heart will explode and my eyes are wide with fear. I can taste saliva thickening in my throat, but I can't swallow any of it down and beads of sweat begin to trickle down my brow. At some point I'll have to move and face the muffled voice to the side, but I only freeze until the owner of the interruption, speaks once more.

"Six?" She asks, "What are you doing?"

Three.

I slide the drive back out and turn.

Her cheeks are stained with tears and her eyes are as red as my fearful blood is. 

She eyes me with concern and then glances over to the metal box behind me, which I try to hide with my shaking frame. An Escape Pod is open behind her and I suddenly realise she had come here to look at the steady stars as the emotions within her were anything but steady.

When her eyes soften as if she has too, been hit with realisation, the inky darkness engulfs the frail light that beacons my senses, diminishing all hope and bliss that had risen with the bravery I had formed. Now only silence lingers in the air. I shiver in the claustrophobic space that she narrows with her green eyes and wait for the clipping winds of her harsh words.

"Are you trying to escape?" She breathes, hands clenching by her sides, glancing between me and the device in my hand.

A small, sigh of anxiety leaps out of my mouth. Tersely, my eyes flicker to her blonde hair that used to be golden in the constant warmth of excitement and exhilaration which she would give to me, but now that seemed to wither with age as her face turned red in anger.