chapter 27 : closed universe theory

Start from the beginning

I shake the hibernated Edgar. "Edgar, wait for me outside," I tell him and walk out of the class with my things to look for her.

I don't find her in the crowd. There are a good number of girls with red hair, and I'm too tall to be able to notice everyone's hands. I sigh, looking at the compass. I'll just give it back tomorrow, since she has one of her own anyway.

--------------------

"Your Mom won't kill me, right?"

I've been feeling rebellious lately, which is probably why I bring Edgar home to tutor him for the Physics exam tomorrow.

He was reluctant to come at first. He said he didn't want to be a bother and he was afraid of my Mom from the stories I told, but I think it's just because he doesn't want to study.

"No, she will kill me." I open the door of the house and enter.

Mom walks out of the bedroom. I avoided any eye contact with her in the morning, so it's the first time I notice that she looks worse than yesterday.

"How was your-" she begins, stopping midway noticing Edgar. I see him stiffen beside me and elbow him.

He clears his throat and says, "Hi, Mr. Lo- Mrs. Lockwood. Umm, I'm Edgar, his friend." He jabs a thumb towards me. "He is gonna tutor me a little for the Physics test tomorrow. Nice to meet you."

Her eyes hold a mask of delight to hide the anger underneath. Forcing a smile, she says, "Nice to meet you too, Edgar. Make yourself at home." She glances at me, a distasteful look on her eyes, which changes back to fake affection when she turns to him. "Cedar's room is upstairs, the one on the left. You can go and wait there."

"Uh, okay." Edgar glances at me once before passing her and heading to the stairs. He stops midway, turns and says, "Auntie, umm, my parents kinda forced this thing on him, and he couldn't refuse out of politeness. It's not his fault."

It's nice he is trying to defend me, but sadly it won't work. I don't think Mom is even listening to him right now.

"Yes. Go to the room," she replies, dressing the order like a humble request. Edgar nods. When Mom turns back to me, I see him giving a thumbs up and mouthing good luck in my direction.

I look at my shoes.

"I wonder why you felt like it was unnecessary to inform me," Mom tells me, her voice holding the calm before storm.

"You would have refused," I reply. Now that Edgar is here, she can't do anything.

"Of course I would have! What do you think you are-" She sighs, her hand moving to her temple. "I'm so tired of this, Cedar."

I take a moment before replying. I don't look at her as I say, "Me too, Mom. I'm very tired as well. I'm so tired that I could collapse." I take a few steps forward and bring my eyes to her dark-circled ones. "His family treated me very well that night. I want to return it as much as possible. Please."

I cross her and go to my room. Edgar is sitting on my bed, looking around in curiosity, though there is literally nothing to look at. There is still no sign of July-I observe with a sinking heart.

"Your room is surprisingly plain," he comments.

"I don't have taste." I put my bag down and start to unbutton my shirt.

"There's no AC. But it's still so cold."

I can't believe he thinks it's cold. It is extremely hot, and the ceiling fan is barely enough. But I suppose I get it, since his house is hellfire in comparison to mine.