Chapter 17

[One wrong move and it's over]

(Y/N) Pov:

I munched on my donut as Steph said: "I've lost every bit of dignity I had left, haven't I?" "Hey, Shiro, I have to say, this is tough to watch." noted Sora, glancing at her. Shiro said: "I'm only eleven. I'm just a kid, so I don't know better." "Still. Putting Steph's underwear on your head seems a little... Strange?" I said, quickly taking another bite. Sora nodded, asking:" Could you be in a bad mood? You're being pretty hard on Steph, after all." "Not really." she said with a pout. "Shiro, you're so cute~" I said, smiling brightly at her. "Th-The games have only begun! I still haven't shown all my cards." said Steph, running in front of us. She stopped, making us stop, too. Sora said: "No, you're showing everything right now." I nudged his side. "Sorry..." he quickly apologized, putting a hand on my head. "Jealous again?" I simply looked to the side, avoiding eye contact while eating the last bit of my donut. Steph broke the awkward athmosphare by saying: "Here we go! Asciente!"

3rd Person Pov:

After the first game, Shiro now wore Stephanie's shawl. She was devestated, but didn't give up yet. So, she challenged them to yet another game; eating spicy food. Shiro and Sora didn't even flinch, Steph started spitting fire, and (Y/N)... Well, let's just say she ate a lot. "What?" she asked with a full mouth, glaring at the other three. Sora said: "You sure do like food, huh?" "Of course I do!" He then chuckled as Steph was caughing violently. And save to say, Stephanie lost. So Shiro now wore her boots on both arms.

Another game was the game of life that they played. Of course Blank won again, which resulted with Stephanie's bra being now on top of Shiro's head.

They even played Rock-Paper-Scissors again. Steph had to wear glasses. Sora took a few photos of her. (Y/N) pouted, but decided to let it slip this time.

(Y/N) Pov:

"O-One more... Just one more match!" begged Steph. "You've got almost nothing left to lose." said Sora, hiding his face behind his hands. "As long as I iwn in the end, defeat and shame are a small price to pay!" "God, I can see how Elkia got so bad as it has." "This time, for sure, we'll play a game requiring nothing but luck! Guess how long it'll take for those birds to fly off!" said Steph, pointing at some pidgeons. I sighed, saying: "Fine, fine. You go first. Asciente." "A-Asciente. U-Um... Thirty seconds!" she said. Sora picked up a rock as I said: "I'll say... three seconds." Steph watched as Sora threw the rock. It hit next to the birds, which caused them to fly away in said three seconds. "Hey! That's against the rules!" called Steph, glaring at us. I shrugged, asking: "What rules? I don't remember there being any." Shiro said: "Steph, give up already." "Why? Why can't I win? Even though I'm doing this for Elkia... for Imanity... Why won't the odds turn in my favor even once?" "Steph..." I looked at the ground. I know what that feels like. I know what it's like to fight for something, yet lose the slight chance of winning. That's why... I looked back up, saying: "There's nothing like luck in this world." The other three looked at me as I continued. "Rules, conditions, states of mind... The outcome of a game is as inevitable as it is unpredictable. Even before it even begins, countless invisible variables decide the end result." "Chance is an illusion." added Sora. "For example, what's the probability of drawing the ace of spades from a deck with no jokers?" he asked. Steph answered: "Well... One out of fifty-two, right?" "Normally, yes. But what if it was a brand new deck? New card decks are usually ordered the same. If you take out the jokers and pick the bottom card, you're almost guaranteed to get the ace of spades." "B-But..." "Yeah, I didn't mention it being a new deck of cards. On other words, you didn't know, right? Being aware of that simple fact would've turned your 1.92 percent chance into a certainty. Simply put, if you know enough about a game, you're sure to win. That's the reason you and the rest of Imanity have continued to lose, and the reason why we're stuck." "Huh? Stuck?" asked Steph. Shiro answered: "We don't have enough information." "Before we can make a move on the animal girl kingdom, we need to figure out the Werebeasts' weakness. All we really know is that they have an uncannily sharp sixth sense." explained Sora. I said: "They can read minds. And if that's true, we can't even bother to bluff or use propper strategies. In other words, it wouldn't even be a game anymore." Sora let himself fall onto the ground. He said: "All of the books or documents in the palace had usable intel, and there's not a single library or bookstore in the city. Do you guys even want to survive?" Steph looked shocked, but didn't say anything. I crouched down next to Sora, saying: "You'd have to be an idiot to start a fight you can't win." "But... if we don't do something, nothing will change! Even if we have to sacrifice ourselves, we should do what we can to save Elkia and its people!" said Steph. We both stood back up. I looked into her eyes and said: "Don't you get it? One wrong move and it's all over..." I looked back at the ground as Sora said:" This country, and Imanity, is in deep trouble. Don't forget that." We walked past her, but stopped soon after. "Well... It seems like you've been keeping Elkia from going right over the edge." "Huh?" "We were wondering why there was so little opposition to our reforms. But as it turnes out it was all thanks to you." "Steph can getthings done." chimed Shiro in. "Really, that helped a bunch. Thanks." I pushed my thoughts back and smiled at Steph. She said: "Sora... (N/N)... Shiro..." She was tearing up already. "Well, you know..." started Sora. I said: "Let's save Elkia together." "Okay! Okay, woof!" She started crying, so went over to her and patted her head. "That said, we're just as stuck as before. And the one thing to get us going again isn't available to us." said Sora. Suddenly, the atmosphare changed again. This feeling... "What? It got dark?" "Sora, this is..." I said, but trailed off as we looked up. "Amazing." said Sora. He and Shiro smiled, saying: "Laputa really does exist!" I said: "Avantheim, one of the Phantasmata." "The second-ranked race?" asked Sora, making me nod. "How are we supposed to play a game with that?" he asked. "Nii, that's where..." "Yeah. The best plan would be to win over the Flügel who live on that floating city." I asked: "But... How do we get up there?" "Don't you have a spell that lets us fly?" asked Sora. I shook my head, answering: "No. I can still only make the one that deflects another spell." "I see. Then..." "Ba*se!" he and Shiro said at the same time. "Not falling, huh?" "The servers here are pretty good." "Wh-What was that...?" I asked. Steph then said: "If you're looking for a Flügel, there's one nearby." "Huh?" I dropped to the floor, hitting it with both of my fists. "Steph! You could've told us sooner!"