ONE

"Christabella Taylor,please report to the principal's office right away".The speaker blasted overhead and I winked at Keith, the only person I could call a friend.
"She's gonna castrate you" she jeered at me as I made for the principal's office, still smiling.
I was half way there when the principal came out dressed in a violet colored pantsuit, looking like she was in a hurry.

"You're dismissed miss Taylor, we'll meet after the holidays" she rambled, breezing past me.
I rolled my eyes and went to clear out my locker. I then went to the parking lot to wait for mom since I didn't have a car or a boyfriend who had a car and Keith had already left. I clicked on the 'my makeup salon game app' on my phone and played till mom turned up an hour later.

"Hi mom" I breathed, pecking her cheeks as I got into the car.

She had her deeply curled hair in a beautiful bun. She had her edges controlled cutely so I couldn't help but ask. "Where are you coming from, mom?"

She rolled her eyes and replied "How was school today?".

I fixed my eyes on the road avoiding hers as I cleared my throat and muttered "I flunked maths again.. I don't seem to be improving"

"Aww, don't be so hard on yourself, you'll be just fine... If your dad doesn't get mad at you though" she said in a sympathetic tone and I scoffed,resuming the game.

"yeah whatever, I tried my best". I heard mom give a little chuckle and I sighed dreamily, remembering China.

"I can hardly wait to leave for China" my eyes crossed over to mom who looked at me briefly.

"Uhh, about that Christabella, you'd have to wait till your dad comes back from Denver"

My face contorted deeply

"One, you know how much I hate it when you call me Christabella..

When I was younger I had, on many occasions, tried to make mom change my hideous name and when she wouldn't, I had it shortened.

" Two, what the fuck is dad doing in Denver?!".. Can these people be less annoying?!

"watch your mouth when you're talking to me young lady, I'll take no foul languages from you.. Who the fuck do you think raised you?" She yelled negotiating a bend into the St Taylors'.. My dad owned the entire estate. I quirked a brow at her 'language' and muttered a low" you're one to talk"

"I don't wanna spend a day of my holiday in this gas chamber called Los Angeles!" I moaned in mock horror and mom hummed, ignoring me as she pulled up at the front of our large house.

Though my dad is rich, he doesn't squander money and it's obvious just seeing my house cause it looked just like a normal mansion... no other costly decors.

I opened the car door and got out feeling nauseated to go in, to live one more day with annoying mom and classic grumpy Richard.

Richard is my eldest brother and my least loved sibling.. Don't worry, the feeling is mutual!
I was still staring at mom, trying to fathom an easy way to convince her to talk to dad for me when my phone rang and it was Sean. My only male friend and the only serious admirer I had in school. He wanted to be my boyfriend so bad and wouldn't let me be until I said yes!

I rolled my eyes and and ended the call.

"who was that?" Mom asked, startling me.

"No one.. I mean, just a friend" I said and mom looked at me with this 'you fibber!' expression on her face.

"I'm serious mom,he's just a friend" I mused and mom wiggled her brows "He?!" she squeaked, taunting me more

"Yea" I stressed and climbed up the porch with her trailing behind me. I opened the door and skittered in. I felt warm as the welcoming fingers of fond childhood memories waved over me. I ran up the stairs to my room and flopped on the bed.

I looked over to my packed bags and I missed China more than ever. I can't wait to see grandad and the monks that lived with him. I wanted so badly to see the waterfall where I always luxuriate on hot afternoons. I remembered my last holiday and I could almost see it right in front of me. I was in a neon green bikini and my waist length 4C hair was cascading all over me. I had walked into the pool and... "Chris!" I was snapped outta my reverie when Jannie, mom's cousin and our help knocked the door, asking to bring my lunch.

"Not yet Jannie" I replied in a sing song manner and I heard her hiss irritably. "idiota" she muttered and I scoffed.. She's always in a bad mood but I don't blame her, mom was a force to reckon with..

I looked at my packed bags again and cussed under my breath. I went downstairs for lunch and mom was there.

"when is dad coming back from Denver, ma?" I asked biting into my prawn sandwich.

"He should be back by Thursday so we can leave on Monday" She related, typing away on her laptop.

"oh Jeez!, am I gonna survive till then?" I cried and laid my head on the long granite table.. Mom was sitting at the extreme end. Her eyes shot up to look at me.
"Quit your yapping  Christabella, you've been okay since forever. How's a few days more over here supposed to kill you?"
She looked austere so I didn't bother to yell at her and tell her not to call me that bilious name.

"Make preparations for dinner, Jay" Mom said to Jannie who nodded and set about arranging pans..

"Bullocks" I muttered and abandoned my lunch, unfinished.. My mood was ruined!