Chapter 12: This is goodbye

Post coronation of Horus

Anubis and Asteria were now walking through one of the desolated place of duat. It was filled with darkness. As they proceeded , Asteria saw that there was a throne on which a person with bennu bird as face was sitting. He stood up seeing Asteria.

"Come and place your heart so I weigh it against the maat." He told her holding a balance.

"She isn't dead." Anubis told him.

"You dare bring a mortal to realm of dead before me, Osiris, lord of dead." He yelled putting down balance.

"Hey! Don't yell at him. I am not a mortal and I insisted." Asteria spat back.

"Who are you?" Osiris asked looking curiously.

"A Greek goddess." She told him.

"What do you seek in Egyptian afterlife then?" He asked surprised.

"I just wanted to visit it." She replied.

"This is no sanctuary where you could come and go for a tour. Only dead enters the realm." Osiris glared.

"But what is the problem? I mean I enter and I exit. What is the..." Asteria began.

"It is not that simple, Asteria. There are certain rituals that happens everyday and when someone undeserving enters any realm , then it can have terrible consequences on way of universe." Anubis sighed.

"So you mean to say you won't take me inside." Asteria asked him.

"I don't mean that. I can't..." He stuttered.

"You won't or will." She repeated.

"No!" He sighed.

"Alright. Perhaps that is why you were chosen to guard this place. To shatter dreams and heart." She sniffled and then stormed away.

"Asteria! Stop." he shouted after her and followed her while Osiris sat back on his throne.

Asteria ran too fast for Anubis to follow her. And he couldn't come out in mortal world. He was just a guardian of gates , a messenger. This time of year wasn't for him.

Asteria collided with a bulky object as she was walking without looking straight.

"Hey girl! Are you escaping from land of dead." A guy with animal face looked at her.

"Who are you? Get away from me now." She pushed him .

"Easy! I would like you to remain living as long as you don't do anything foolish." He smiled maliciously. Asteria was never scared but for some reason, she was getting that feeling that he is a dangerous person or God judging by his animal face to mess up with.

"Who are you?" She asked again.

"People call me brother slayer. You know just like Cain killed Abel. Except he got a curse from that biblical god. Me on other hand became lord of deserts and world until his son took it away from me." He fumed with excitement.

"You are Set." Asteria recognised him.

"Correct! And you are gonna help me do what I want or I will kill you." He chuckled.

"Yeah! Like hell. I am more powerful than you and I can't be killed. I am immortal." She ablazed her hands with fire magic.

"See! This is the spirit. But actually I don't need you to be mortal to kill you. You see I have stolen Ra's staff and it is perfectly capable of temporarily blasting you into pieces. Now you would be alive if those pieces come together again but if they don't as I would ensure , you would stay dead in a way." He grinned evilishly showing her staff

"I hate you. How do I know you won't do that after having me done your work." She asked him.

"That is a chance you have to take , love. I am not one in danger of killed. And don't try to use magic. I have been here practising before you started." He glared at her.

She nodded nervously.

"What do you want me to do?" She gulped.

"Bring me the balance of Osiris from Underworld." He grunted.

"Why can't you go there with your bloody staff?" Asteria spat.

"Now! Now! Don't make me angry. You don't wanna get yourself blast into pieces , do you?" He laughed. Asteria sighed and started walking back into underworld.

She was pretty sure that if she tried to use magic to go back to Greece where Hyperion could protect her (coz he was most powerful among all lord of lights) , she would be too late for Set may find her and she didn't wanna end up like that.

"I am so glad you came back , Asteria." Anubis' voice wavered seeing her.. She looked at him startled and stopped in her tracks.

"I can't explain. I don't have time. I have to get the balance of Osiris." She revealed.

"What are you talking about? You are not allowed to do that ." He thudded his spear.

"I don't care what I am allowed or not . Set is waiting outside with staff of Ra and would kill me if I don't give him what he wants." She explained moving towards gate.

"Don't you understand? If Set gets that balance , then he would have control over all humans." He came in front of her.

"What do you suggest I do?" She yelled.

"The staff of Ra is only in hands of Ra. It cannot be stolen. He is fooling you. It is not possible for him to have that and he wants that balance so to have a leverage over all mortals." He stated.

"And what if he has stolen it? For real." She asked afraid.

"Then we are all already doomed. And he would have to take underworld and that balance by fighting all of us." Anubis said firmly.

"All right! I am going back then." She nodded.

"I will.." he began.

"It is a goodbye, Anubis." She told him stopping him in tracks and went away . Asteria had pretty good time using her sorcery on Set and binded him to sands of desert and then went back to Greece with a resolution of never going back but she did. She had to for now something even bigger was coming.

Amicus vale! Keep thy self posted for next chapter.