Chapter 16

-Two chapters ago-

The next morning when I arrived at the dining hall to find many long faces. By that I mean Dawn, Misty, Paul, and Ash.

"What's going on?"

"Well, you know how the Beautifly kingdom fell a few months ago?"

How could I not know?

"It turns out that the royal family is being kept in the dungeon. Prince Drew is a strong leader, but very inexperienced. He has gone to free King Norman to form an alliance to defeat the Cacturns."

My heart stopped.

There were so many Cacturns that he wouldn't be able to free our soldiers before they cornered him.

He was going to get himself killed.

---------------

My eyes grew wide.

"No... I'm going back to the Beautifly castle." I said firmly.

"What do you mean 'go back' to the Beautifly castle?"

"Misty, Dawn, you can explain." I yelled as I dashed out off the room.

Got to get to the stables... Got to get to the stables... I panted, forcing myself to run top speed the whole way there.

I threw open the door. Every horse was gone, presumable ridden to battle. Every horse but one, that is.

I snatched the harness and quickly tethered it on Tor.

"Come on, girl. We need to get back to Beautifly as soon as possible!!"

The wind flew through my hair, though my bandana kept it more or less contained.

I was suddenly glad that I had lost all that sleep to exercise Tor. It had kept her in shape, allowing her to shorten the amount of travel time.

The sun rose, dimly illuminating the forest, but the light did not matter.

My vision was blurred with tears, the tears showing my fear for Drew's life.

The voice was right. I couldn't just pretend like I could live without him. I just can't.

He feels like a bully because he stole my heart and won't give it back, and yet I love him because he also feels like the one comforting me and giving me strength.

I was still around a mile out from the castle, but I could see the flashes of gun and cannon fire, feel the ground vibrate, hear the explosions.

Just hang on, Drew. I'm coming. Hang in there.

"Tor, stay hidden." I instructed her.

I dashed through the familiar halls, and descended the stone stair case into the dungeons.

I heard swords clanking. It looks like father and Drew are fighting, but wh-

"LIER!!!!!!!!! WHERE IS SHE?!?!?!?!?!"

"I don't know where your daughter is! I have Absol-utly no idea where she is!"

"LIES!!!!!!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TELL ME WHERE YOU'RE KEEPING HER!!!!!!!!!!"

"I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Father thinks Drew kidnaped me! If Dad wins with these conditions, he won't hesitate to kill. Hang in there!

I heard Drew let out a strained yelp and with a loud thump, something hit the floor.

"I will ask you one last time. Where. Is. my. daughter?"

"I-I... Don't... Know..."

I skidded around the corner to find Drew pined to the ground, Dad's sword raised ready to kill.

"FATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He froze. "May?"

He trapped me in a tight embrace.

"What happened? Are you hurt? Where have you been?"

I smiled, happy to be in Dad's arms.

"I'm fine, but..." I pulled out of his hug and knelt by Drew. I lightly shook him, and he seemed to come back to this world.

He gingerly sat up. No doubt he was in a lot of pain right now.

"Would anyone mind explaining what the heck is going on?"

"Yes, I would appreciate an explanation as well." Dad agreed.

I sighed. "I might as well start by saying my actual name. I am Princess May Maple of the Beautifly Kingdom." I went on to explain the escape over the boarder, and where I have been this whole time.

By the time I finished my story, both boys were speechless.

It would have stayed like that had we not heard footsteps on the stairs.

"Curse those Cacturn warriors..." I heard Drew mutter.

But no warriors came. Just one man. At least, I think it was a man...

"King Harley." Dad growled.

"Oh! What a touching reunion. It almost made me regret tearing you apart!"fake tears formed in his eyes.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Drew asked, raising one eyebrow.

"I honestly have no clue." Father replied.

I shrugged. "There's always one way to find out."

"Of course I'm a bo- OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He doubled over in pain. "Yup. He's technically a boy."

Dad only sighed, but Drew looked at me wide eyed, probably surprised that a princess would hit him... there.

"Oh, you will pay for that sugar cookie."

He drew his sword. Uh oh. I'm unarmed...

Before he could strike a blow, Drew rushed forward, having taken back his own sword from Dad.

---------------------------

I sat with Mom, Max, Misty, Dawn, Ash, and Paul some where in the Roserade castle.

Drew and Dad were off somewhere, addressing war plans. Sure, King Harley was now dead, but there were other high ranked officials that could continue the war.

I was in the middle of explaining the story yet again, to Mom and Max. With the occasional help from Misty and Dawn.

Oh, who was I kidding. They interrupted me every two sentences.

Maybe Dawn was right. Maybe... I do stand a chance.

-----------------------

Only one or two more chapters left! Oh my gosh!

TOMORROW IS CHRISTMASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!