Chapter 39

The next morning Julia joins Jenna as she takes Elijah on a tour of some of the historical sights of Mystic Falls. "The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence." Jenna says. "Ah, the Fells. One of the Founding Families." "Why do you say it like that?" "My research showed me that this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. It was a migration of townsfolk from the northeast, um, it was Salem, to be precise." "Massachusetts? As in the witch trials?" "Which means the ever-lauded founding families...didn't actually found anything." "Well, I bet it was the men who made a big deal about being founders back in 1860. Men are very territorial." "Yes, they are." Alaric walks up to them, making Julia giggle at the irony. "Elijah, this is my friend, Alaric Saltzman." "Yeah, I got your message about walking Elijah here through the old property lines. I thought I would tag along. You know being a history buff and all. Where to next?" "I'm pretty curious about the freed slave property owners. Some say, you know, the descendents of the slaves are the true keepers of American history." "Well, I only brought the surveys. I got that list in the car. Just give me a sec." Jenna walks back to her car, leaving the two men alone together with Julia. "Alaric Saltzman. So you're one of those people on Elena's list of loved ones to protect." "So is Jenna." "You don't have to be jealous. I don't really pursue younger women. It's a joke, Ric, lighten up." "Territorial." Julia coughs making Elijah smile. Elijah pats Ric on the shoulder and walks away. "Right. Julia your dad said to take you with me to meet him at the Grill." "Okay I'll go say bye and grab my coat."

Alaric, Damon, Julia and Andie are at a table. Julia is sat between Andie and Damon. She smiles thinking about what she was going to asks Andie later. "Other than your lecture on the history of Mystic Falls, did you get anything out of Elijah?" "No, it was boring. Of course, Jenna thinks he's charming." "You sounded jealous. Sound a bit jealous?" Damon asks Andie. "Kinda do." "Maybe we shouldn't talk about this here." Alaric glances over at Andie. "Andie, she's been compelled not to divulge my secrets. Haven't you?" "Uh-huh." Damon and Andie kiss over Julia's head as she draws. "Mmm. My lips are sealed." Alaric stares at them in disgust, but Julia smiles feeling part of a family. "This is too weird." Ric comments. "I just need the right opportunity." Damon sees Elijah and Jenna enter the Grill. "Ah, there's Jenna with her new boyfriend. Hi." Elijah and Jenna walk up to their table. "Hey, guys." Jenna greets them. "So I hear you two had quite a meeting of historical minds today." "Yeah, I guess you could say that." "Well, as much as I'd like to continue this, I've got papers to grade." Alaric puts down some money and gets up from the table. "No, you know what? We should continue this. Let's have a dinner party." Andie says. "Ooh, my girl. Full of good ideas. I'll be happy to host. Say tonight. Maybe?" "It's good for me. Jenna?" "I don't know if tonight works..." Ric starts "Yeah, I'm free." "It'd be a pleasure." Elijah smiles looking at Julia's drawings "Great."

Later, while Jenna and Andie are preparing the table for the dinner party, Julia goes to her art room. She looks at the table and sees a blue box. She opens it to find a drawing kit and some drawing pads.

She looks and sees a note

Little Pup,
I thought you'd like a professional drawing set as your pencils were getting worn down. I've also given you some different sorts of paper to try out.
Love,
Nik

She smiles and pulls out her phone. "Thank you for the pencils and paper. I'm looking forward to trying them out." she sends to Nik. She gets a response soon after "Your welcome little pup. Hope you enjoy using them." she smiles and gets ready for the dinner party. As she looks for a dress to wear there is a knock on her door. She opens it to see Andie. "Hey Julia. I bought something for you." she hands Julia a box.

Julia opens it and finds a dress with a black belt

Julia opens it and finds a dress with a black belt. She smiles at Andie "Thank you so much. It's beautiful." "You're welcome sweetie." "Andie? Can I ask you something?" "Of Course" Julia sits on her bed next to Andie. "Can I call you mum. I mean I don't have to if you don't want me to." "Julia you're rambling. You can call me mum if you want to. I would be honoured if you want to call me mum."Julia smiles and hugs her tightly "Thanks Mum." "Now I need to help my gorgeous daughter get ready." they laugh and Andie helps Julia get ready.

Damon stands at the bottom of the stairs as Andie and Julia walk down

Damon stands at the bottom of the stairs as Andie and Julia walk down. "Where's my little baby girl gone. You look beautiful little one." "Thanks Daddy. Mum helped me, she did my hair and bought me this dress." Damon smiles when he hears Julia call Andie Mum.

Damon, Andie, Julia, Elijah, Jenna, John, and Alaric all sit around the table. Jenna pours some wine for Damon. "I hate to break it to you, Damon, but according to Elijah, your family is so not a founder of this town." "Hmm, do tell." "Well, as I mentioned to Julia and Jenna earlier, a faction of settlers migrated from Salem after the witch trials in the 1690s. Over the next hundred years they developed this community where they could feel safe from persecution." "Hmm. Because they were witches." Jenna adds "Yeah, but there's no tangible proof there were witches in Salem." "Andie's a journalist. Big on facts." Damon tells Elijah. "Well, the lore says that there was this wave of anti-witch hysteria. It broke out in the neighboring settlement, so these witches were rounded up. They were tied to stakes in a field together and, uh, burned. Some say you could hear the screams from miles around us. They were consumed by the fire. Could you pass the..." "I wouldn't repeat this to the Historical Society." Jenna tells Elijah. "It's starting to sound a little like a ghost story to me." John says "All ghost stories have an element of truth to them." Julia popes up from between her parents. "It's just hidden in the story." "So, why do you want to know the location of these alleged massacres?" Damon asks Elijah. "You know...a healthy historian's curiosity, of course." "Of course." He glances at Damon and smiles, nervously.

Once everyone finishes Julia gets up "Excuse me I forgot I have something upstairs to give to Mum and Dad." Julia smiles at Jenna who smiles back. Julia runs upstairs grabs a folder from her desk and runs back down to find Elijah gone. "Where's Elijah?" she asks. "He had to leave he apologised for not being able to say goodbye." Jenna told her. "Now show them." Julia smiles and skips over to her mum and dad giving them the folder. Damon opens it to find adoption papers "You just have to sign each page and I'm officially Julia Star-Salvatore." Andie and Damon smile and hug her tightly. Soon after Andie settles Julia in bed. "Your dad had to go help Stefan with something. I'll stay til he gets home." "Okay Mummy. Night." "Night Sweetie. Love you." "love you too."