Chapter 21

The next day Julia is sat painting while Damon is on Stefan's phone to Elena. "I'm supposed to help build the Miss Mystic float for the Founders' Day parade. If I don't I get the wrath of Caroline but I wanted to check in first." "Well, I'm doing great, thanks for asking." "Checking on Stefan." "Oh, him? Oh, he's...he's terrible." "What's the matter?" "He's just back to boring, straight-laced, off the junk. You've successfully cured him of anything that was interesting about his personality." "Don't forget who helped me." "I hate myself. Did Uncle John mention anything to you about my field trip with the history teacher?" "No. I'm still been avoiding him. Why? What's he up to?" "I don't know. But I'd love if you could find out for me." "I've got to go I'm late." "Have fun with the Mystic queen, I know I did." "More like Mystic Bitch." Julia says as he hangs up. Damon gets up and gives the phone to Stefan. "Elena called. Come on Little One." Damon smiles and leaves the room Julia follows. "What've you painted?" he asks her. She turns it round to show him.

"Woah, you choose a room today, then we can get started on it and you can put all your artwork up

"Woah, you choose a room today, then we can get started on it and you can put all your artwork up." he tells her smiling. "Thanks Daddy." he smiles and kisses her fore head.

Julia and Damon enter Alaric's classroom after getting a phone call from him. "Damon, Julia, thanks for coming." Ric greets them. "Sorry I'm late. My dog ate my uh...never mind." He looks at Stefan and Elena. "What's with all the furrowed brows?" "I saw Isobel last night." Ric tells Damon and Julia. "Isobel is here?" Alaric nods "In town?" He turns to Elena and looks at her. Julia sits down and sighs rolling her eyes. "Did you ask her about Uncle John? Are they working together?" Damon asks "No." "No they're not?" "No, I didn't ask." "What about the invention?" "Didn't ask." "Did she know about the tomb vampires?" "I don't know." "Did words completely escape you?" "No, I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions." Julia gets up and goes over to the book shelves and gets a book about the Holocaust down and sits and reads. Damon turns to Elena. "What did she want?" "She wants to see me, Damon." "Alaric is supposed to arrange a meeting. We don't know why or what she wants." Stefan tells Damon. "You don't have to see her if you don't want to." Stefan is confused by this sudden sensitivity and looks at Damon and then at Elena. "I don't really have a choice." "She's threatened to go on killing spree." Ric tells Damon. "Oh! I take it that's not okay with you guys." "I want to do it. I want to meet her. If I don't, I know I'll regret it." Damon and Elena look at each other. "Julia come here." she looks up and goes to put the book away. "You can bring it with you." Ric tells her. She smiles and takes it over to them. Ric takes it off her and Damon picks her up.

Julia, Damon and Alaric are waiting outside the restraunt across the street. "We should be in there." Damon says. "No, Isobel made it clear we're not to step a foot inside." "I'm not going to kill her in a crowded restaurant." "You're not going to kill her period!" "She ruined your life and you still want to protect her?" "She's my wife." Damon and Julia look at him. "Was my wife. I looked for the woman I married but she wasn't there. Whoever that is, she's cold and detached." "Yeah, she's given up her humanity." "Yeah, see, I don't get that. Stefan has his humanity, he's a good guy. And you're a dick and you kill people but I still see something human in you. But with her there was...nothing." "You can turn it off, like a button you can press. I mean, Stefan's different. He wants the whole human experience. He wants to feel every episode of How I Met Your Mother, so he shuts his feelings out. The problem is, as a vampire, your instinct is not to feel. Isobel chose the easier road - no guilt, no shame, no regret. I mean, come on, if you could turn it off, wouldn't you?" "You haven't." "Of course I have, Rick. It's why I'm so fun to be around."