Chapter four

Kyra's POV 

I woke up late the next morning. I've got a text from Layne and Julie, my high school bullies. They bully anyone who needs to be, and I'm one of them. On Thursday, they asked me to go out to the mall today with them to give me a chance. I peak at the text and realize that I'm going to be late. I jolt up, racing out of bed, quickly getting dressed, "How can I forget?" I say to myself. I undress myself, dress myself and run downstairs.

"Good morning, what's the rush?" my mom asked.

"I'm supposed to meet Layne and Julie at the mall and I'm going to be late. I take an apple on the go. "Bye mom."

"Bye, have fun, and don't get into trouble." sprinting outside with the apple in hand. They wait outside for me. "Here she comes. Finally decides to show up." Julie says, her big poofy brown hair tight back into a bun. "Sorry I'm late."

"It's fine. Anyways, when we get to the mall, we are going to look around. Hop in." Layne demanded. I hope in the back of the red car. On the drive, the traffic was light so we got there in no time. We find a parking space once in the parking lot, then hop out of the car and walk into the entrance of the mall. Throwing the core into the nearest garbage can. We walk around with other people passing by. It's near eleven already and the mall is packed. We entered a couple of stores, Hollister and Garage. When we entered Old Navy, we looked around when one of the store clerks came to see if we needed any help, saying no thanks. Just before we left, the same store clerk came to meet us, passing an envelope to me. I said thanks and left with the other two, trailing behind.

Curious of what the letter says, I couldn't look at it until I got home. I tucked it away in my sweater pocket, but not sneaky enough when Layne caught sight of it. "What's that?" she asked.

"I don't know. The clerk gave it to me."

"Well lets see."

"I don't know." I say unsure of how to respond. "Well I'm curious so I'll open it." Before I could pull back, she ripped it out of my pocket and ripped it open, reading the letter. By the expression on her face, it's not good. She gave it back to me and carried on without a word. Tucking it in my pocket, I followed them from behind. Walking through the busy and crowded mall, we head into Lush and look at all the natural items. I stay with Layne and Julie asking me what I like. Telling them I love the scent of cherry, vanilla and lavender. Scanning anyone's watching, I spot Layne taking a small candle and putting it in her pocket. I look at her wide -eyed.

"What are you doing?" I whispered yelled.

"Lush is pretty expensive, and I like this."

We walk out of the shop in suspicious, heart pounding out of my chest, sweat rolling down my back, my face. I basically panicked. We were fine until someone yelled at us. "Hey stop! You have to pay for that!" The store clerk yelled. Panicked I glanced at Layne as she shrugged and made a run for it, pulling me with her. I tried to let go, but she pushed me forwards and we ran. Running into the daylight, we heard security chasing after us. Getting into the car, Julie puts the car in drive, driving away in the traffic. My heart pounds, like it's going to jump out of my chest, all shaken up, I say, "we have to go back and pay for it."

"What!" They both shouted in shock. "No, I got this."

"You shoplifted. Now I bet they called the cops. If my dad catches me, I'm in massive trouble."

"Chill, your dad won't catch you."

"You don't understand my dad is a cop and if he knows I was part of this, he will kill me, maybe lock me up for a week." In fright, I couldn't take it anymore. I felt the tears appear in my eyes, blinking them away. Julie heads the back way of the highway, so it's just us. In the distance, I hear sirens. I look back to see a cop car racing to us. Panic rose in me. Instead of passing us, they stayed behind us, "stop." I say. They didn't. "Stop!" I yelled.