Chapter XXIII

"I let you in my brain, I used to doubt now I believe,

I let you ease my pain, using your black magic on me"

When I woke up the next morning my body refused to move for several minutes, floating in an endless limbo between sleep and wakefulness as I basked in the blissful warmth that had enveloped my entire body.

The sun had been locked away behind heavy rainclouds and the steady trickle of water travelling down the window almost lulled me back into a light slumber, but eventually I willed my eyes to open fully, turning my head to find a face inches away from mine.

Antonio had wrapped most of his body around mine, his face nuzzling into my neck where his soft breathing was tickling my skin. He looked incredibly peaceful in that moment, his usually sharp features soft and almost gentle as he slept.

Sometimes I forget that the devil was an angel once that has been brought to fall by the hand of a cruel father...

I studied his face for a while, trying to memorise every crook and corner, carefully moving a strand of hair from in front of his closed eyes to admire his effortless grace.

"It's rude to stare, you know that right, bella?" Antonio's morning voice was deep and raspy. His eyes were still closed but his lips tugged into a smile as his arms tightened around my body, pulling me impossibly closer.

I grinned, my left eyebrow raised slightly, poking my finger into his bare chest. "Oh, and you are the epitome of manners of course, are you now?"

A deep chuckle rumbled from his chest and as he opened his amber eyes a devious look flashed through them that had my heartbeat spike instantly. In one swift motion he had rolled the two of us over so that his broad body hovered over mine, his arms supporting most of his weight as he started trailing delicate kisses along my jawline.

"Of course," he murmured against my skin as he moved down to my neck, planting kisses wherever he could reach, "or would you call me anything less than gentlemanly, principessa?"

I could hear the sly smile in his gravelling voice but his lips against my skin had my brain in pieces, so instead of producing speech it couldn't come up with anything more than a breathy moan that tumbled from my parted lips.

The sound had his body tensing as he stilled in his movements, his eyes flickering up to meet mine with a hungry look blazing through them. "You're going to be my downfall, angel," he growled, his composure snapping as another lewd mewl escaped my mouth before I could stop it.

My head shot up the same time as his pounced down and our lips clashed together in a breath-taking fight for control. Feeling his body move above me sent a jolt of electricity through my core and I couldn't help but grind up in response, tangling my fingers into his hair, desperate to cling onto something.

But as I clenched my hands at the blissful feeling that was coursing through my body I accidentally tugged at his hair and I almost fell apart from the guttural growl that tumbled from Antonio's lips.

"Do that again and I won't let you out of this bed for the next week," he warned, as he detached his lips from mine, resting his forehead against mine to catch his breath. 

I could feel his heartbeat thundering against my chest and I was sure mine didn't go any slower as I panted for air, looking up at him with wide eyes.

"I would truly rather stay here with you, mi amore," he uttered with a strained voice, checking the clock on his bedside table with a sigh, "but I really need to get up... I have an important phone call in 10 minutes."