Chapter XVI

"I'm out on the edge and I'm screaming my name like a fool at the top of my lungs,

sometimes when I close my eyes I pretend I'm alright but it's never enough"

"Dio santo (good god), Cupcake," I heard the figure speak, and as he knelt down in front of me, I could finally make out Dario's features, studying me with a worried look.

I was not able to contain the sob of relief as I recognized him, loosening my muscles and laying limp on the floor for a second, letting the remaining fear pulsate through me.

"Can you walk?" he asked, trying to assess the damage that had been done to my body, anger visible in his face, even though it was not directed towards me and he tried his best to mask it, softening his expression for my sake.

Clenching my teeth and drawing in a shaky breath I tried to sit up, but the world around me started to spin out of motion as the ringing in my ear drowned out Dario's curses.

"C'mon then, Cupcake," he spoke in a hushed voice, seemingly not wanting to distress me further, and I could feel his hands carefully manoeuvre underneath my body to lift me up into his arms.

The movement caused me some pain and discomfort, but the anxiety that suddenly washed over me as Dario started walking back into the light where the men had been, threatened to drive me insane and I started to squirm in his arms, trying to escape.

No. Please, they'll hurt me!

"Calmare (calm down), Anabelle, it's okay," Dario whispered, tilting his head in the direction of the group of people, "they can't touch you anymore!"

I could make out several of Antonio's men holding three hunched over figures in their midst and as Dario started to make his way back to the mansion they followed, violently dragging the three men along, pushing and shoving them forward, guns drawn and aimed.

By the time we had reached the house I had difficulties keeping my eyes focused.

I wasn't sure whether they kept closing or if the dark spots across my field of vision simply grew in size, but as we stepped through the front door my head was leaning limply against Dario's chest and I could barely hear his heart hammering over the high pitched ringing in my ear.

Focus, Anabelle!

My hazy mind picked up fast footsteps approaching, and my eyes caught Antonio rounding the corner wearing a smug smile on his triumphant face.

"Well, well, well, I told you, you shouldn't run from me, my little fallen angel, didn't I?" he spoke, dark humour laced in his voice, but he fell silent as he took in the scene in front of him, a shocked expression spreading over his face as he noticed my frail state.

"Che cazzo (What the F**k), Dario,"  he growled, stepping closer, "I told you to bring her back, not beat her into a pulp." But he stopped in his tracks as his eyes fell onto the three strangers that were still held tight by his men.

The emotions that ran across Antonio's face changed within seconds as he puzzled together the pieces, white hot anger blazing to life in his amber eyes.

"How dare you lay hands on this woman, you filthy little lowlifes," he thundered, voice loud and filled with rage. I flinched at the volume, whimpering in fear and curling into Dario's arms to cower away from his anger.

Antonio did not seem to notice or care, and with a strained voice hissing through his gritted teeth he turned to his men, gesturing towards the corridor that led down to the basement.