Chapter XXI

"Don't let it in with no intention to keep it,

Jesus Christ, don't be kind to it, honey don't feed it, it will come back"

I didn't wake up once during the night, my body desperately clinging onto some much-needed rest. So, when I woke up the next morning the autumn sun was peeking through the drawn curtains, sending slivers of gold flickering through the room.

I let my gaze wander over the familiar furniture of the room that I had spent the last couple of months in until my eyes landed on the large figure that was laying beside me, looking at me through forest green eyes.

It was almost like looking into a strange mirror. Because Dino's face features were so different from mine, but his dark green eyes resembled mine up to the flecks of gold that were only visible if the sun reflected in them.

"Good morning," I mumbled, a long yawn fighting its way out of my chest, "how are you feeling Dino?"

My brother closed his eyes as if scanning his body for any pain or discomfort and as he reopened them, I saw the smallest of smiles lighting up his bruised face.

"Free," he uttered with a low voice, genuine happiness peeking through the mask of pain and sorrow that had settled over his face since I had last seen him seven years ago. "Even though I still don't fully understand what the hell happened... "

That makes two of us, believe me...

"How did you even end up here, with Antonio Caressio of all people?" he asked, a quizzical look on his face.

With a heavy sigh I turned my body fully, so I was laying on my side, facing my brother as I took a deep breath. "It's a long story, Dino..." I pointed out, but he turned his head towards me, looking at me expectantly.

"Start from the beginning then."

And so, I did. I talked about my deployment and how it had ended with me catching a bullet in the guts. I talked about my residency at St. Thomas's hospital. About Lottie.

And then I tried to put into words what had happened ever since Antonio had snatched me off the streets. How the man I thought to be the devil revealed an almost kind character amidst this bunch of outcasts who had come together to form one family.

"You've changed, tata," Dino remarked once I had fallen silent, "Ma would be proud of you..."

I had to blink a couple of times to hide the tear that was threatening to escape my eye before I could meet his gaze. I studied his face more closely and even though it was badly bruised and swollen I could tell that his spirit hadn't been broken completely during the long years under our father's torment.

"I'm glad you are safe now," I whispered, inspecting the broken skin to see if any of his wounds needed tending to, but despite the colourful array of bruises and lumps on his skin he seemed to be alright.

Sitting up with a tired groan I rubbed the sleep from my eyes but flinched as my fingers accidentally brushed the tender skin of my cheek.

"I'll go and get you something to eat," I announced with yet another yawn breaking from my lips. But just as I was up and ready to leave for the kitchen the door opened, and Ellie entered with a tray of breakfast on it.

"Rise and shine," she sang, putting the tray down on the bedside table and pulling the heavy curtains aside to let in the dazzling sunshine, "I thought you kids could use some of my famous scrambled eggs for breakfast."

My mouth started watering at the delicious food that was stacked onto the two plates, but I couldn't help but feel bad for letting her do all the work.