Chapter XX

"I can't help but want oceans to part,

'Cause I'm overcome in this war of hearts"

Then I suppose we are better off together...

The words were spinning around in my head at a dizzying speed.

Did I hear them correctly or did I hit my head harder than initially thought?

I couldn't really be sure but as I looked into Antonio's eyes, that were still burning bright with emotions, I could hardly ignore the message they were screaming at me without uttering a single word.

I tried to search Antonio's face for any indication of deceit, but there was nothing there besides raw and honest vulnerability as he laid down his defences.

"Be mine..." he murmured with a gravelling voice, his lips brushing my cheek as he planted featherlight kisses along my jaw, travelling up to the corner of my mouth.

Even if I had wanted to speak, I knew that my voice would have barely had the strength to carry any words, my heart hammering against my chest as I leant back in, closing the gap between our lips once more.

This time however it was no gentle exploration of each other's intentions, no, this was a desperate attempt to merge into one being. Our souls clawing their way out of our chests to be as close to each other as possible while our lips clashed together in a hungry kiss.

I felt Antonio's hand travel up the side of my neck until it tangled into my hair, pulling me impossibly closer to him as I heard a low growl escape his lips that sent electric shivers through my core.

After what felt like eternity, yet nothing more than mere seconds Antonio suddenly gripped my shoulders, pulling away forcefully and holding me an arm's length away from him with a vice grip.

His chest was heaving as if he had to bring up immeasurable strength to contain himself, his eyes pinched together with furrowed brows as he drew a shaky breath, letting another quiet growl tumble from his slightly swollen lips.

"You're playing a dangerous game with the devil here, angel..." he pressed through gritted teeth, opening his eyes, and capturing me in a head-spinning gaze.

Antonio's face was hovering close to mine and I could see the specks of gold shimmering in his irises, but his pupils were fully blown out, black devouring the amber orbs almost completely and he truly looked like the devil was raging within him.

"You should run before you get trapped in his greedy claws..." Antonio added, prying his fingers off my skins as if in great effort before clenching his fists to keep them from sneaking back onto my body.

I looked at him in stupor, letting out a shaky laugh, my mind still swimming from the kiss. "I truly believe it is too late for that now," I breathed, my eyes flickering back and forth between his captivating gaze and the inviting redness of his plumb lips that were pulled into the slightest of smiles as he chuckled deeply.

"What a terrible shame..." he mused, not wasting a second before reaching out to pull my body against his once more, our lips finding one another blindly now. But as Antonio's hand accidentally brushed over my still bleeding cheek I flinched away slightly, causing him to still in his action completely.

He pulled away cautiously, a gentle caress ghosting over my skin as he inspected my bruised and broken skin.

Letting out a puff of air he tried to compose himself, the hungry look on his face ebbing away and giving way for a slightly worried expression, hints of anger flashing behind his eyes as he noticed the pain that I was in.