Chapter XII

"I don't want your sympathy but you never know what you do to me,

every time I see your face there's only so much I can take"

Ever since Lottie had come to the Caressio's home my routine had been adjusted quickly, my entire being orbiting around the new house guest.

I spent most hours of the day helping Ellie or tending to Lottie and Dario, while I spent my nights in Lottie's room.

I had started reading books to her, since she often had trouble sleeping due to her increasing pain, and right now we were in the middle of a story about a little angel.

Every evening after I had changed Dario's dressing, I had laid down next to Lottie in her bed, holding her close in my arms while reading her stories until she was sound asleep.

From time to time Antonio snuck in after dinner to wish Lottie a good night and upon her demand he stayed and listened to me read until she fell asleep.

At first my voice kept shaking whenever he joined us in the evenings, but soon I had come to terms with his presence and even appreciated it as I witnessed the delight in Lottie's eyes every time he entered the room.

A week had passed like this and as the weekend approached the Caressio Manor had fallen into a buzzing commotion, everyone preparing for the big event to come. Antonio's 30th birthday was approaching quickly and soon the house was filled with people moving around the furniture in the adjoining dining and living room to make way for a big dance floor.

Every inch had to be swept, no dust or cobweb left unattended, and the walls of the large room were hung with garlands and blinking lights.

The day came and upon Lottie's wish I had helped her make a small gift for Antonio. I had gathered crayons and some coloured papers and together we had crafted a multicoloured birthday card that was covered by sprinkles of glitter.

Lottie insisted that I put my signature under the written text as well, since I was the one who had put her dictated words onto the paper in my very best handwriting.

So that morning as Antonio entered his late sister's room to greet the little girl, I stood next to her, and since I couldn't deny a single wish of hers, we sang happy birthday together and handed him the card.

Lottie's face was overjoyed whilst mine turned a deep shade of red under Antonio's unreadable expression, and I cursed my blood for rushing so eagerly to my cheeks.

"I've got something for you as well, munchkin." Antonio had to visibly supress a grin at the little girl's attempt to look sour at the newly given nickname, but her curiosity overpowered everything as she eagerly outstretched her opened palms in expectation.

"What is it? What is it, Antonio?" she sang, bobbing up and down on the mattress, full of excitement.

I stood next to her, unable to hide my own curiosity, but I could not ignore the little pang of shame.

"I'm pretty sure we are supposed to give you a present on your birthday, not the other way around," I mumbled, my cheeks still fiery and eyes drawn to the floor.

But the glimmer of joy in Lottie's eyes seemed to be the greatest present he could have gotten as he handed her a pink princess dress covered in glittering fabric and shiny rhinestones.

The little girl squeaked in delight hugging the dress close to her body.

"It's for the birthday party tonight," Antonio explained, carefully placing a small tiara on her mess of golden curls. "After all, every princess deserves a beautiful dress for a ball!"