Chapter XIX

"Is it easier to stay, is it easier to go, I don't wanna know,

I know that I'm never, ever gonna change, and you know you don't want it any other way"

"I've come to settle a debt, D'Angelo," I heard Antonio's deep voice thunder, dripping with authority and threat, as he stepped through the remains of the door.

A shocked expression flashed across his face and the hold around his gun tightened visibly as he took in the scene that laid before him.

His amber eyes flashed with fury, but as they landed on my face he stilled, horror and worry racing across his face, that were soon taken over by an untamed bloodlust for the man that was still aiming a gun at my head.

I would not want to be on the receiving end of that monstrous look on Antonio's face.

Silvano, stunned in shock, realised too late that the dangerous man in his doorway was storming towards him, and with his senses dulled by the alcohol and god knows what other substances he was helpless as Antonio tackled him with full force, both of them colliding with the floor.

While Antonio landed one blow after the other on my father's face, another figure entered the room through the broken door, gun aimed ready to stand by Antonio.

But Dario obviously did not expect to find his boss rolling around the floor, wrestling with an old Italian Mafioso.

He stood, astonished for a moment, before his gaze scanned the room and it only took him a moment of surprise before he hurried towards me with a worried expression.

"Cazzo, Cupcake," he swore, cutting me free of my restraints and helping me stand on shaking legs, "what the fuck happened here?"

But I did not answer, too focused on not losing conciseness again as the blood rushed up into my pounding head.

"Help my brother," I croaked, gesturing towards Dino, who was too weak to follow the scene in front of him with his eyes, so his head hung low on his exhausted shoulders.

Dario nodded, kneeling down next to my brother, carefully cutting him loose. His attention was fully occupied by the broken boy that was crumbling without the support of the restraints, falling limply into Dario's arms, who hoisted him up carefully, making sure he did not hit his head against the floor.

'Click'

My eyes flickered from my brother to the two fighting men in alarm as I heard the safety of a gun being switched off.

I looked at Antonio in fear, watching with horror as my father pointed his weapon at the tall man's chest, holding him at gunpoint.

No!

Antonio's Glock had fallen out of his reach during the fistfight, half hidden beneath a pile of empty beer cans, and I could see that he realised just as well as I did that, he was defenceless against the lunatic in front of him.

No. No.

The blood streaming down Silvano's beaten face made him look even more deranged as he gave Antonio a wicked grin, his finger travelling to the trigger as he spat blood in his direction.

No. No. No!

Without thinking I sprung into action, my shaking fingers pulling up the gun that Dario had carelessly stuck in his waistband to tend to my brother.

Aiming within a heartbeat I did not hesitate to pull the trigger; afraid my father would be the first one to shoot and strike Antonio with the deadly bullet.