Chapter XV

"When you look at yourself,

are you a man or a monster?"

Once outside the door I headed down the driveway and turned onto the street.

I suddenly realized that I had never actually really seen the neighbourhood, the only time that I had set foot outside Antonio's grounds had been the drive to the hospital the day of Lottie's biopsy and there hadn't been any time to admire the surrounding estates.

There weren't many by number, since each property was the size of three football fields, but the idyllic street twisted itself around marvellous mansions and grand gardens.

The sun had almost vanished behind the far-off houses and was plunging the whole street in a soft golden glow.

For the first time in what felt like a lifetime I drew in a deep breath through my nose and slowly let it pass out through my lips again.

The faint scent of blooming roses hung in the evening air and the street lay quiet and calm before me, so without giving it much thought I willed my legs to carry me along the small, narrow side streets.

There were hardly any cars and even less pedestrians and I was enjoying the serenity of the moment, watching with interest as the scenery in front of me changed yet again as night slowly fell around me.

The streetlights flickered to life and now illuminated the streets with a hazy, florescent glow, as the sun had fully set, and the sky was turning darker by the second.

Without its warm shine however, I realized that I was still only wearing my work clothes, black jeans and a simple black T-shirt.

Shivering slightly, I wrapped my arms around my body and sped up my pace in order to keep warm.

Checking the time, I realized that 20 minutes had already passed, and looking up I also realized that I didn't recognize my surroundings.

Just perfect...

I panicked slightly, turning around on my heel and deciding to take the same route back that I had come by.

Rushing past rose gardens and expensive brick walls with iron fences on top, I focused all of my attention onto the landmarks that I recognized in order find my way back in time.

The clock was ticking, racing on with rapid speed, just like my anxiety riddled heartbeat, but as I turned the next corner I breathed out in relief.

I knew this street and I recognized the buildings to my right; this was only one corner and a two-minute walk away from Antonio's townhouse.

Walking along the pavement I slowed down slightly, now confident I would make it in time, giving myself the opportunity to draw a couple of breaths and regain my composure.

Caught up in my thoughts I did not notice the three shadows creeping closer on the opposite side of the road.

What I also did not notice was, that one of the three figures detached themselves from the group and crossed the street, so when a drawling voice suddenly sounded from the darkness close by, I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Good evening, Miss," a deep voice spoke, seconds before a young man emerged from the shadows and stepped into the light cone of an overhanging streetlamp.

My heart was beating out of my chest, not only because of the fright the sudden appearance of this stranger had given me, but also because of the prickle of unease that travelled down my spine as I met the icy blue eyes of the man.