CHAPTER TWO

Not very satisfied with the comments since i thought alot people waited for this and hence i pushed forward the publishing dates from July to June.

But this is for the honest readers out there who've stayed by this story. Thank you and i assure you a good ride here.

*************************************

Nandini's office was a good 20-minute drive from Manik's business, and because he insisted on driving her off, he was the designated driver, so Nadnini opted to check her emails and project files once before entering her office. Manik observed his wife was fully engrossed in her job, and even though it wasn't true, he couldn't help but marvel at how fortunate he had been in the last few days, knowing her had actually carved a space within his heart that he couldn't yet define.

But, even though he despised what he was doing to her, he had no choice; it was moments like these, when they were alone, that he believed were the best for him to be himself, and so he wanted to make the most of them by doing whatever irritated her. He set the AC on full blast right towards her, causing all of her research papers to fly around the car.

"Manik seriously!" Nandini roared in pure anger, she was always the scheduled one and hence wanted to be the most accurate infront of her workers.

"You said something?" Manik slightly chuckled trying his best to put up the i did nothing face but inside he knew how much fun it was to freak her out at such times.

"Manik you know it well what have you done.. I was working." Nandini cringed at the kid sitting beside her.

Manik was enjoying her bickering expression, so he switched up the music box at maximum volume, playing "I DON'T CARE" by Ed Sheeran.

"Sorry wifey can't hear you" Manik shouted on top of his voice.

"Manik close that" Nandini shouted to trying to make her dear husband understand how frisky she was with him.

"Ahan i like this song" Manik chuckled and started moving his head along the tune "CAUSE I DON'T CARE WHEN I AM WITH MY BABY YEAH" he sang the parts of song looking at his angry wife from a side eye.

Nandini caught a glimpse of him and realised he was playing with her, so she turned down the volume so that they could communicate clearly.

"hey why did you do that?" Manik asked.

"Because you are acting like a kid. Why did you make my papers fly away?" Nandini replied with a question to him.

"Because you were ignoring me." Manik complained like a kid.

"Manik i was not ignoring you i was just trying to be ready for the day today. I don't want them to feel that i forgot how to work." Nandini replied in a low hushed tone.

"Hey you're the best okay in all your work. Don't be tough on yourself i know you're gonna rock it, and it's just been what 5 days max that you left them on their own. Moreover Cabir handled it well, i talked to him."Manik consoled her.

"You did?" Nandini spoke with a spark in her eyes. She wasn't expecting Manik to be concerned about this.

"Nandini you're my wife and  i didn't wanted you to get tensed so i told Cabir to take charge until you resumed." Manik shrugged replying her as if it was a normal thing to do not understanding how much such small gestures meant to girls.

"Thank you. I am glad to have you in my life." Nandini smiled fidgeting with her fingers. Talking to Manik before wedding was way easier than now for sure.

Manik slid his one hand towards her lap, interlacing their fingers until the leftover ride, as if realising his wife's uneasiness. When they arrived at their location, Nandini was unsure whether she should withdraw her hand away or allow him do it, but she was relieved that she didn't have to make that difficult decision when Manik slid his hands back to the steering wheel.

"So i'll pick you up in the evening" Manik asked.

"No it's okay i have a meeting somewhere so i'll be a bit late. I'll get a cab." Nandini declined politely.

"Nope you are not getting a cab okay. I'll send the driver wherever you want. Okay?" Manik told her in an authoratative voice.

"Okay sir as you say. So now can i leave?" Nandini asked raising her eyebrows.

"your wish." Manik replied moving his head looking straight, how was he supposed to tell his wife that he was gonna miss her but as if on cue to his thoughts he felt a slight touch of lips brushing against his stubble and a smile formed on his lips.

"I'll miss you too" Nandini dashed out of the car as soon as the words left her mouth and Manik drove away.

**************************************

The start of the day at the office was not as dreadful as Nandini had anticipated. Nandini returned to her cabin after her third meeting of the day, whirling around on her chair and relaxing her shoulders. Her last several days had been stressful, and getting back to work was difficult when her cell phone rang.

"I was was waiting for your call." Nandini beamed with happiness.

"Sorry they asked us to switch our cell phones off in the plane ." The voice retorted back.

"Listen i am gonna meet you in the evening and i'll text you the address soon okay?" Nandini asked.

"Are you sure you want to do that, Little Mouse? I came here because you asked me to, but now I think you should just tell your father and Cabir everything. I can't let you drown in this pointless chess game. Manik must be a genius or something, but mouse, you are so innocent and naive that I don't want you to get wounded." The speaker reasoned that it was one more attempt to persuade Nandini to abort her plans.

" Hey hey no one from either of us is gonna get hurt okay. It's them who are going to pay for everything that they are doing to us. And telling dad is not an option here it could affect his health and about Cabir he just got his friend back and i don't want to drag him into this." Nandini explained her dilemma.

"Fine but if this doesn't work we are getting you off of it. Okay and text me the address soon. I'll meet you."

"Yes i will and-" nandini stopped midway when she heard the door open and cabir walked in "yes sir i'll send you your presentation as soon as possible, thank you for your time. Goodbye." Nandini hanged up the call.

"hey something important. I can leave if you want?" Cabir asked.

"No no it was just a client. You came here to talk about something?"

"Ya actually princess. I know i should have talked about it before but i just couldn't-" cabir moved infront of her.

"Cabby you know you can tell me anything right." nandini smiled urging him to continue.

"I know and i just wanted to say that even if me and Manik are buddies or whatever but you come first okay, you are always gonna be more important than anyone out there so if at any point Manik hurts you or does anything stupid you come to me. I'll take care of him." Cabir instructed her.

Nandini smiled and hugged her best friend, even if her life had turned a whole upside down she knew she had people that had her back.

"Only if you knew him cabir, only if you knew him" Is all Nandini thought.