Chapter 11

Alessandro's POV
     "She wouldn't be crazy enough to pass there all by herself by that time if the night,would she?" Matteo asked.
       I sigh, I had hoped so, but this was Priscah we were talking about.
      I got my people to check out the alley while we waited at the cafe, we had to wait so we wouldn't contaminate the scene.
      About an hour later, they called me back with news. My heart sank. There was definitely sign of a scuffle, but they weren't sure of anything.
     Her friend offered to go home and wait in case she turns up.
      I had already put out my men out there in case something came up. I and Lorenzo offered to take her friend home. I was about loosing my mind.
        It was almost dusk. We drove to her apartment and we waited in the living room. I wanted to get out there and interrogate every suspect myself.
        Lorenzo kept calming me down. I had called the commissioner of police and he was also on the case.
       Around nine in the night, the lock suddenly clicked and the door swung open. I looked up and there she was.
        I shot up to the door but Pam beat me to it. "Where have you been? Why do you look like this? What happened?" She hurled questions at her.
         She hugged her friend. Then she noticed me, her face changed into one of fear and sheer terror. The color drained completely from her face.
         I crossed the room and approached her. Stammering,she asked her friend. "What's he doing here?"
       Her friend glances at me and answers, "He helped look for you. When you didn't turn up, I went looking for you. I even went to the police station but they where no help at all. That's when I ran into him."
        I reach her and take her in my arms. Her head was al bandaged up. "Who did this to you?" I say indignantly. Before she could reply, I notice the figure leaning casually on the wall in the hallway.
      I reach for my gun. But she grabs my hand. "This is Luke, he helped me get home. I owe my life to him," she says.
      The figure stepped away from the shadows into the wall. "Come in" she says.
      After we were all settled in, she narrates her ordeal. "After they dumped me suddenly by the side of the road, Luke who happened to be driving by picked me up and drove me to a friend of his who happened to be a doctor. "Seriously, I owe Hume my life" she concluded, smiling at the guy adoringly.
         I feel my heart clench. I wanted her to look at me like that. All this billions and connections and I couldn't even save her. Rather I was the cause of her abduction.
        "Why didn't you take her to the hospital or even report the case to the police?"
         He starts to answer but she cuts in, " I didn't want any of that, I didn't know who to trust. Luckily for me, he had a friend who also was a doctor."
     "Right, so you don't trust the police or the hospital, but you trust the total stranger you just met. Sounds smart." I say sarcastically glaring at the so called Luke. He had this amused look in his eyes. Lorenzo jabbed my side with his elbow.
       Then she starts crying. I rushed to her side. "I'm sorry Cara mia." She starts stuttering amidst sobs, " ssshhh I tell her, it's okay, you are safe now. No one would ever hurt you again as long as I am breathing."
      I take her in my arms, she stops crying now. "I promise you angel, I would make them pay. Al of them, whoever laid a finger on you would pay dearly" I tell her.
      She has this look in her eye. Then she shakes her hair in the affirmative.
       I hug her tightly, someone clears their throat. I turn to see who. The Luke guy speaks up, "I hate to break the family reunion, but it's getting late. I have to head back now."
      She leaves my arm and rushes over to his side, I grimace. Lorenzo smiles evilly at me. I glare at him.
      "I would see you tomorrow," I hear her tell him before closing the door.
     "Why are you seeing him tomorrow?" I ask her annoyed. "Why can't I?" She retorted.
      I could already already feel my blood boiling. I needed to get rid of this Luke fellow. I barely had her myself. Now I had to deal with some dude. Especially when she saw him as some messiah of some sort.
     My phone lights up. I check it only to see it was a text from Lorenzo. "Looks like yo I finally got competition big guy." I look up to see him laughing at me.
      I turn to her,"I don't think you would be able to see him tomorrow because you are coming to my place," I pause to let it sink in, then I add "tonight."
     "What?" They both chorused. "Yea what are you thinking Alek?" Lorenzo adds.
     "Listen, you said this people took you because they thought you where my woman. What makes you think they won't come back again? It's a guarantee they already know your house, since they took you from work."
    "I need to be able to able to protect you. I need to know you are safe twenty four hours a day. I owe you that at least for involving you in my mess. And my place is basically a fortress," I finish.
      "Okay" she agrees. "Okay?" The three of us chorused in surprise. I had expected her to refuse or at least not be convinced easily.
    "Yea, what you say makes sense. And I don't want to go through that ordeal again. Those guys where no joke," she says shivering.
       "And I promise you, you would never have to go through that nightmare ever again" I say cupping her face with my palm.
      I notice her blush slightly. My chest tightens with longing. I release her. "Pack what you need for tonight. I'll send someone to get the rest tomorrow" I say.
      "So why did you say I wouldn't be able to see Luke again?" She asked.
     "Oh, I mean we are leaving tonight, and you said your phone was destroyed. So by the time he comes tomorrow we would be long gone. Poor guy" I say shaking my head.
    "Oh, that's fine, I have his number written. I can always keep in touch. I could use Pam's phone Para venture till I get a new one. Thank for caring anyway," she says sarcastically.
     "Seriously, everyone can see that you you are jealous. Stop embarrassing me bro" Lorenzo whispered.
     I glance at them and they where struggling to hide their laughter. Seriously???
     Then she steps forward and takes my arm. "Thank you for caring for me and my friend, I'm so grateful, I don't know what I would have done without your help" She says looking into my eyes,smiling. I felt my heart melt. Seriously, I was done for. If only she knew the hold she had over me.
     I guide her tenderly into the waiting vehicle. Few minutes later, we were on the road to my place.