2x21 Funeral - Auditions Pt. 2

"We need to help her," Finn addressed the rest of the glee club, standing in front of the class beside Kurt and Julia, explaining Sue's situation.  "She's overwhelmed and she needs us to help her.

"Seriously, I'd like to put the fun back in funeral just as much as the next girl," Santana put air quotes up, Julia slightly smiling at the girl from the front of the room, sandwiched between Kurt and Finn.  "But why would the glee club help Coach Sylvester plan a service?"

"We're not doing it for Sue, we're doing it for her sister," Kurt told the class.

"Plus Sue's like really depressed and if we're being honest here, she's one of this glee club's biggest motivations so we need her back to normal so she tries to destroy us, and then we win Nationals," Julia shrugged, Santana grinning back at her for no particular reason.

The only one being that she thought the girl looked beautiful and she was utterly and completely whipped by her.

"Well, uh, and Jean is just like us, guys," Finn mostly ignored Julia's slightly off topic, but true statement.  "I mean, she's been an outsider and an underdog all her life.  We of all people should celebrate that."

"Can I say something?" Jesse interjected, all eyes suddenly fixing on him.  "When someone dies, yes, it's a tragedy, but it's also a part of life, and you can't let death put your life on hold," Jesse looked up at the students, Julia realizing that Jesse's words were more than true.  "Now, I don't mean to be blunt, but I don't think you should be planning a funeral the same week you should be focusing on the set list for nationals."

"Seriously?  You're serious?" Finn asked, clearly stunned as Julia saw a point in both Jesse and Finn's argument on the service.

"Actually, yes, I am.  Do you know what Vocal Adrenaline is doing right now?  They're in their third week of 24-hour-a-day rehearsals.  They're on an I.V. drip.  That's how hard they're working.  Do you know what happens in Vocal  Adrenaline if someone dies during a number?  They use them as a prop, like Weekend at Bernie's," Jesse said as Julia furrowed her eyebrows, silently imagining what would happen if one of the New Directions died on the stage at Nationals.

"No," Finn immediately remarked.  "Thanks for your input, Jesse, but we're helping Sue with the service for her sister.  Rachel, you said I needed to be more of a leader of this club, well here it goes.  I'm making the call, we're doing this."

Julia's eyes met Santana, the brown-eyed girl pretending to fall asleep due to boredom as Julia bit her lip to hold back her laughter.  Santana opened a single eye just to see Julia look down with a grin on her face, Santana unable to hold back her own smile.

She felt as if her only goal in life was to make Julia smile.

xxx

"We're ready for the first contestant," Julia heard Jesse say over the speakers.

Santana glanced one last time at Julia who stood off to the side of the stage, the green-eyed girl displaying a large and encouraging grin that caused Santana to slightly smile back.

"My name is Santana Lopez and I'll be singing Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black'," Santana focused her attention back onto Mr. Schue and Jesse in the audience, clutching onto her mic stand before the piano began to play.

Can I just say, this performance is actually so amazing.

Santana tapped on her microphone as Julia tapped her foot, holding the grin on her face as she watched Santana perform.

Every once in a while, Santana's eyes would flicker over to Julia, a soft smile which she couldn't hold back slowly appearing on her face every time she did.  No one else's opinion except for Julia's really mattered to her.