15. Trollops on the Throne (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Sabrina opened her mouth to express her gratitude when Ren interrupted. "Look, lady, majesty ma'am, we need our damn weapons or we are not taking another step."

She looked at him with a tight expression. He returned her stare with hard eyes. Sabrina blew out a sigh, he wasn't going to rest on this. Alethia stood watching the entire interaction, an indifferent look on her face as though the matter wasn't any of her concern. Sabrina averted her eyes away from Alethia.

Just like with Liliana, she couldn't figure out what Alethia was thinking.

"By the goddess's lovely bones, the way you act must mean your bed has been cold for years now." Aydin smirked at Ren, eyes glinting with malice.

"Aydin, there's no need for vulgar words," Queen Bellerose said with exasperation. "Trust is earned, and as such, you will return their weapons to them. Go get them now."

At Aydin's departure, Sabrina let out a controlled breath. The tension between the men would destroy her carefully crafted plans if it persisted.

"You must understand our apprehension given the current circumstances," Queen Bellerose spoke after a few moments of silence. Ren's footsteps echoed as he moved around the room, studying the murals painted on the walls. "Many will neither believe nor support you, Lady Sabrina. A Kantian seer is simply unheard of."

Sabrina looked away, cheeks flushing at the words. She had considered that exact fact for a long time while in the dungeon. An ability that was reserved for the Witans should not have been gifted to her conniving Kantian hands. Sabrina knew where she had gotten her newfound power, but it wasn't something she could proudly announce to anyone.

She had thought she'd escaped from the truth and buried it deep into the corners of her mind, but her past had caught up with her.

At the thought, she felt her blood rush to redden her ears. Her magic rose in agitation, and she took a deep breath, shoving the restless surge of power back down.

The queen watched Ren's movements, her hands twitching as she tucked loose pieces of hair behind her ear. "Are you a believer?"

"Yes, in myself," Ren grumbled, not turning to address the queen. Sabrina frowned at his blatant disrespect. Alethia began walking the perimeter of the temple, head tilting back to look up at the stained glass above them.

"This temple is dedicated to the goddess of serenity," The queen continued despite Ren's obvious lack of enthusiasm. "It was built years ago when the Peace Treaty between our respective kingdoms was finalized. Many have prayed to the goddess, myself included. This is the one place that puts my mind at ease."

The fragrance of the incense clogged Sabrina's nose. "It's wonderful to have a place that can bring you peace of mind, Your Majesty."

Queen Bellerose gave her a small grin, hands balling up at her side. The queen's eyes went towards the ground, sharp chin tucking into her chest.

"My only desire is to protect my people. I will do what I must to accomplish that. And if trusting the three of you is what I must do, then consider it done."

Sabrina's chest tightened at the words. She had the urge to walk up to the queen and grasp her hands in a form of comfort.

"We are in your debt," Sabrina said as she curtsied, bowing her head. As she rose, the doors creaked open, and Aydin entered again. In his hands, he held two axes and a long sheath with the red laced hilt of a sword protruding from it.

Aydin placed the weapons on the ground and moved towards his mother. "I've postponed the War Council as long as I could, but our presence is required immediately. Let's hurry."