Too Good

Scarlett fluffed the last pillow and threw it back on the sofa. She gazed around the living room and took a deep breath, deeming the space acceptable for company. Although if she could help it, said company wouldn't be coming into the living room, or past the front door.

The quilt he requested was finally finished, so he was coming over to pick it up. It turned out to be such an astounding piece of craftsmanship, she'd almost kept it for herself. He'd better appreciate it . . .

The doorbell rang, and she rushed to it to find him on the step.

"Hey," he greeted, leaning down and pecking her on the lips. 

Her eyes widened in surprise, and that's the only reaction she could get out before he sidestepped her to enter. 

"It's nice in here," he remarked, looking around before turning and grinning at her. "Did you clean up just for me?"

"Oh, choke on it," she snapped, slamming the door. "I cleaned because I'm not a damn slob. I don't recall ever inviting you in!"

"Oh well. I'm already here," he drawled.

She scowled viciously at him before storming for the stairs. She rushed to her room and grabbed the quilt, and by the time she returned, he was standing in the same place. She promptly threw it in his face.

"Now get the hell out," she ordered as her cellphone rang. "Hello? Oh, hi Ezio! Oh yeah, I'm on my way right now. Calm down, the zoo isn't going anywhere."

"Zoo?" Conner echoed, his eyes lighting up. 

She ended the call and glared at him.

"Yes, eavesdropper. So, now that you see I don't have time for you--"

"How are you getting there?" he asked with snide curiosity. 

Her expression darkened in annoyance. "Public transportation, genius."

"Oh yeah? And how will you get to the manor to pick up Ezio?"

"Ask my only friend with a car!" she answered exasperatedly. 

"Sure! I would love to accompany you and Ezio to the zoo," he replied cheerfully.

"What? No, not you!" she shrieked, but he was already dragging her out to the car and hauling her inside.

This was bound to be a nightmare. Conner was imposing himself on her special sister-brother bonding time with Ezio. He was sure to be disappointed . . .

***

"I'm so happy you brought Conner!" Ezio announced from the backseat.

Scarlett turned around to glare at him, but he didn't seem to notice. He was supposed to be distraught. This was supposed to be their private time! That hadn't had that in years - since he started working for Bruce, in fact.

"Thank you for having me," Conner said, pulling into the parking lot. He found a super convenient spot right by the entrance. They hopped out and headed to the ticket window. "What's your favorite animal, buddy?"

"I like tigers, but if Aria doesn't want to see them, then it'll be okay," Ezio replied.

"Aria?" Scarlett repeated.

That's when Ezio ran off, running right up to the little red-haired girl and who she assumed to be her parents.

"Hello there!" the woman called.

"It's a pleasure to meet you!" added the man. "We're Philip and Jane Robinson!"

Scarlett gave Conner and awkward look before they slowly approached the couple.